Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USCG Doc# Placement on a Gibson Sport

USCG Doc# Placement on a Gibson Sport

I have a 1992 Gibson Sport 37 and I'm wondering where is the best place to attach or paint on my Documentation Number. There is no exposed hull inside the cabin. Is it OK to put on the underneath of the engine compartment hatch?

How long did it take you to obtain your USCG Doc# and how involved was the process? What do you view as the main pros in obtaining your Doc#?

You could put it on the bottom of the hatch but that's really not a good place. It's supposed to be on some part of the boat that is not easily replaceable, which the hatch is. Any exposed metal panel or beam, or if the boat is fiberglass any exposed panel or beam will do. Some permanent part of the structure.

I know what the CG regs say - I was hoping to get some input from a current or former owner of the same type of houseboat, or somebody with some knowledge of where specifically on a Gibson this is traditionally done. There are no exposed parts of the hull inside the cabin that I am aware of - everything is covered with some type of decorative paneling.

The boat was documented by a previous owner, but I don't see the doc numbers anywhere on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    You could put it on the bottom of the hatch but that's really not a good place. It's supposed to be on some part of the boat that is not easily replaceable, which the hatch is. Any exposed metal panel or beam, or if the boat is fiberglass any exposed panel or beam will do. Some permanent part of the structure.

Senior Member Frantically Relaxing's Avatar
    Engine compartment is fine, here's the official rules:

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
    In our boat, the numbers were "applied" to the steel transom with a hammer and a center punch, 'dot matrix' style. Nothing short of an angle grinder can remove 'em! For a glass boat, a numbered plate or sign bonded to the hull with 5200 would suffice.

I've seen signs for sale with screw holes for mounting that state 'meets federal regulations', but I don't see how 4 small holes left after removing the plate would constitute 'obvious scarring or damage'. But then I don't really know what the USCG considers 'damage'...
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32
    2002 Regal 2860 Commodore
    1987 Sea Ray 21' Seville midcabin
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

From what I've heard, standard gibsons are better than the studios and specials in overall craftsmanship and quality. As my skills grow, so does my craving for an upgrade from my fender standard Mexican strat.

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville
    On most trawler style hulls, the Doc No's are in one of the bilge areas on the fiberglass. Some are painted on, and some are pre-made lettering. After applying the lettering, paint over it with epoxy to seal the lettering. This will keep the CG happy. I do Vessel Safety Checks for the US Power Squadron, We do the same checks as the USCG and are recognized by the USCG, and the above procedure will pass inspection.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

+ Reply to Thread