Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Pump For Holding Tank

kartracer

Air Pump For Holding Tank

I have a sewage plant at my home an it has an air pump, would installing an air pump on my holding tank help in any way.
    Thanks
    Ronney

Yes, they work great. Peggie Hall, who moderates this part of the forum, speaks highly of the Groco Sweettank system. It's basically an air pump. An expensive air pump, but an air pump nonetheless.

I thought Peggy retired.
    Hope I am the one that is wrong.

Tony B
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Maybe this

I was reading on this and I think I could make a very similar set up using this http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Metal-P...d_sim_sbs_sg_6 . It is intended for aeration, so I would think long periods of use should not hurt it, and this would not be a critical health/safety system so I think the savings are justified. I will have to be able to install my own wiring/tubing/fittings/vents but this is something I am capable of. I think the benefits would be obvious (lack of smell) and appreciated. Have any of you tried a "diy" for this application. I would like to know how it worked out/pictures/drawings.

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

Tony is right that Peggy retired. I should have used past tense when I mentioned what she had said. If memory serves, she also said that Groco went through some 5 years of the trial and error that companies call research and development before they created a tube that disperses bubbles in the tank but doesn't clog. I also think I remember that Groco promptly patented their tubing design. I guess that's what you're buying when you pay the high price for their system. But there is nothing wrong with a little trial and error of your own so long as you have a big enough vent to keep your tank from exploding when you pump air into it. You might have good enough tank access that you could use one of those little air stones like you see in an aquarium and just replace it every trip. Even going without anything to disperse bubbles should be better than no pump at all. If an air pump if for you, I would give it a try.
    Last edited by Endurance; 09-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread