Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling an Aqua Cruiser rooftop

Texarkana, TEXAS; boat on Lake DeGray, Ar

Leveling an Aqua Cruiser rooftop

We're in the process of purchasing a 1989 42' Aqua Cruiser. The houseboat is in great shape. In the past six months we have looked at more houseboats than we can count, but have a situation with this boat not previously noted on any other--the roof is slightly sloped from the center to the outside edges which means going uptop provides an unbalanced feeling. Anyone else have, or had a similar top? IF so, did you do something such as use plywood to level the surface? We are considering building a complete plywood deck which would be topped with carpet. Ideas--suggestions? I can't find info on how much weight these rooftops can stand, but after seeing the gi-normous outdoor kitchens and bars on some of the older boats it appears they are fairly sturdy. Help?

The roof railings are only about 8" high, so these will need to be replaced with taller versions. Anywon have sources for these?

Also, does anyone have a link to a place where houseboat ladders may be purchased. This boat has one of the older, "straight up-and-down" type ladders, and I'd like to install one with a slant to help some older members of my family join us.

Thanks--and I'm already enjoying reading some of your replies in the other categories!

Steve

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    The curve of the roof is called crown. It strengthens the roof and provides water runoff. You will get used to it. It ain't broke - don't fix it. You surely don't want to add weight topside. Your Aqua is not in the class that will support your dream layout. You need to respect it's limitations. You might want to keep looking.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 08-09-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Texarkana, TEXAS; boat on Lake DeGray, Ar
    Thank you, sir for the quick reply! I'm all for working within the limitations...do these boats not allow for any topside activity? I can easily modify the dream layout, but I'd like to know the limits before learning the hard way.

I've had a few pontoon houseboats and its like old houseboater said. if you want to have people on the roof,get one designed to have them up there. the roofs on the ones I had used 2x6's as roof trusses milled from 5 1/2 in the middle to 3 1/2 on the outside edges. if you want people on the roof I would keep looking,maybe find something with a flybridge.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Think of it as a Sunpad for teenagers. Not suitable for walking upright activities.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

A great*exchange of information.

+ Reply to Thread