Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old Boat, old toilets.....

Old Boat, old toilets.....

We currently have 2 Jabsco electric toilets on our 1979 Bluewater Sports Sedan. This boat is new to us. They are both early model electric heads. We have discovered that both toilets have issues, seemingly requiring rebuild kits. They both appear to flush with "dirty" water on occasion, its supposed to be clean water. The Jabsco site tells me this is an indication of a bad main seal by the impellar We are wondering if it would be wise to invest in new heads. Has the technology improved enough over the last 20 years to justify new toilets over rebuilding these. I am leaning that way. I will replace all of the hoses to the holding tanks at the same time. Each head has its own holding tank, why is a mystery to me. I am thinking of plumbing both into a single larger holding tank, and increasing the size of the vent tubing. Currently, both holding tanks are interconnected with 1 inch tubing for venting......seems inadequate. What do you think?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Strongly suggest you rebuild the Jabsco's and use the money saved to pay for your fuel for the next 3 to 5 years.

Doing the changes you suggest won't add a dollar to the value of the boat. However: If you have operational problems or just like to project go for it.

It ain't broke don't fix it.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 08-15-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Seal kits are (relatively) cheap and not that hard to install. New, quiet toilets are nice, but pricey. I'll concur with OHB.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Okay fellas, I will give the seal kits a shot. Thanks for the advice!

I had to replace the motor on my Jabsco head a couple years ago, (not cheap). The seal between the pump and the motor had failed, and the void between the the seal and the motor had filled with water, which then of course got into the motor and killed it. So when I installed the new motor (still cheaper than a new head) I cut a drain in the void so any leakage would dribble out on the deck and alert me to the problem, before it got expensive. Why Jabsco didn't do it I don't know.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 08-16-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Not meaning to gloat, but I am SO happy I have no idea what y'all are talking about! Seals? Motors? Drains? Dirty water? Holding tanks? Stinky hoses? Pump-outs? Clogs? Valves? It's a mystery to me.
    It's good that there are choices, and people who are smart enough to figure all that complexity out. As for me, as technically-challenged as I am, the inexpensive C-Head simplicity is wonderful. And still entirely odor-free, so far.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Hmmm But you still have to empty the chamber pot.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

And you have to empty the foul holding tank, too. Until we get that whole human waste thing eliminated from our physiological make up, $%*# happens. This seems a good bit easier, less unpleasant to deal with and MUCH less fraught with technical peril. So far.

Amelia, I am glad your type of toilet works for you. But, you are in a unique situation with a custom designed, home built boat that you will probably never try to sell. Composting heads in a production houseboat would hurt its value and reduce its marketability.

You're absolutely right, East. I've never bought or modified anything with an eye to resale value, only how well it works for me. I tend to hang on to the same old same old forever. When we built our forever house in a tiny midwestern town, its architecture was odd, its passive solar orientation and insulation made it cheap to heat...much admired, but never emulated. When I designed my kitchen, the architect squawked that I needed to reorient it, make it a standard U shape like everybody else's. I said just draw what I sent you. He did...complaining about lower countertops and oddball floorplan. My husband joked that we'd never sell it, because the new owner would have to be as short and lefthanded as I am. Years later, we did sell it, promptly, and the buyer was short and lefthanded. Now every fancy new kitchen looks exactly like the one I insisted on. Just ahead of my time is all.
    But you are also right, in that we'll never sell this silly boat. It was, and remains, my husband's flight of fancy, his building project, not a go-places machine, or fashionable entertainment venue. At least he doesn't play golf.

I just still don't understand how anybody could buy a boat with a nasty pervasive sewage smell, and there are a lot of them out there.
    Last edited by Amelia; 08-18-2015 at 05:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread