AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old Boat, old toilets.....

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Amelia

FYI Most boats (I would guess over 98%) DON'T have any sewage smell. The 2 or less% that do get the bad press and attention and cause the Newbies and uninformed to seek out other than mainstream alternatives . Some of these alternatives work out and some don't.

In many cases the boat is devalued and when sales time comes the unit becomes a hard sell. By never planning to sell you are in the minority. The normal ownership cycle on boats large enough to have a head is from 3 to 7 years. If an individual is a long term boater he/she will usually upgrade from 4 to 7 times in his/her boating lifetime. Most of these people prefer a boat that has not been altered in any significant way from when it was produced at the factory. The quality boats That were built in the 70's and 80's, that are selling for good prices, are much the same as when they were built except for electronic and cosmetic interior upgrades.

You are unique as is your boat. Most of us are happy following traditional paths. Were just as happy as you are.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

What OHB said. The great majority do not smell. If they do, then their owners are doing something wrong.

I actually put small chlorine tablets in my water strainer for the head and the flush water always smells swimming pool clean, plus it keeps the lines spotless clean. I have enough room to add more tanks if I wanted to use fresh water to flush but this works great.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Speaking of those that DO smell. Used to be a Gibson at our dock that had a stench that would get into your clothes if you went in, heck if you walked by!! Not sure why, know he had bilge problems also. Made me not want to fix my toilet as recommended in this thread, but I did and no smell for 6 years now. Guess you just have to take care of issues eh.

Isn't it somewhat normal for it to smell when the toilet is flushed? When pushing water into the holding tank, you're pushing air out the vent tube. When the new waste water hits the top of the holding tank, it disturbs the holding tank treatment stuff that forms a barrior over the top of the surface of the waste. That barrior holds down the stink. When you disturb it, it's pushed out the vent tube. Mine only stinks briefly when flushed.

Do all your boats have carbon canister air filters in the vent tube? Mine does not. I wish I could add one to my vent tube, but I don't really have good access to the tube b/c it's inside the walls. The area I do have access to it practically next to the tank. Any time my tank would get full, it would fill the carbon canister with waste, which would kill the carbon in the canister. I'd then need to replace the carbon inside the filter or the canister altogether. Since I don't have a tank level gauge, this would likely occur regularily and I don't want to screw with that.

OR, I could just be like the rest of the people on my dock and dump into the lake. They complain about my boat briefly stinking when I flush the toilet, then they jump in the water and swim with their turds.......
    Last edited by GoVols; 08-21-2015 at 01:11 PM.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

I put Odorlos in the tanks and use a "Big Orange" vent filter. I swap out the charcoal every other year or so.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    Isn't it somewhat normal for it to smell when the toilet is flushed? When pushing water into the holding tank, you're pushing air out the vent tube. When the new waste water hits the top of the holding tank, it disturbs the holding tank treatment stuff that forms a barrior over the top of the surface of the waste. That barrior holds down the stink. When you disturb it, it's pushed out the vent tube. Mine only stinks briefly when flushed.

Do all your boats have carbon canister air filters in the vent tube? Mine does not. I wish I could add one to my vent tube, but I don't really have good access to the tube b/c it's inside the walls. The area I do have access to it practically next to the tank. Any time my tank would get full, it would fill the carbon canister with waste, which would kill the carbon in the canister. I'd then need to replace the carbon inside the filter or the canister altogether. Since I don't have a tank level gauge, this would likely occur regularily and I don't want to screw with that.

OR, I could just be like the rest of the people on my dock and dump into the lake. They complain about my boat briefly stinking when I flush the toilet, then they jump in the water and swim with their turds.......
    To answer your question, It's not normal to get a smell when you flush. If your tank is working right with a proper charge of Odorlos you should not have that problem. How long do you go between pump outs and flush. If your plugging your vent filter your letting your tank get too full.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I pump out weekly and treat the tank with Healthy Boater / Happy Camper chemicals. My system only smells when the toilet is flushed. I believe this is due to the fact that the toilet vent tube has no filter on it at all. To install one, I'd have to be creative. I have a very difficult area to access the hose that's above deck, but it would essentially would be right above the holding tank. So, if it gets too full, waste would easily get into it and kill the carbon. I let me holding tank get too full once this season already and waste actually dribbled out of the vent tube that's 1/2 way up the side of the boat. I washed it off, once I noticed it.

I wonder if I could make my own canister using PVC tubes and some hose barb fittings......

Bet On Another Thousand

You can make your own canister. Most people buy one, use it, then cut it in half, replace the activated charcoal, and use a no hub band to put it back together and reuse it. I used Happy Camper for a while. Odorlos is better. I only pump out maybe four times a year and using Odorlos and the Big Orange filter, I do not have any smell.

What is your vent tube made of? Mine is made of that white wirlpool spa hose. I'm afraid it's permiated and needs to be replaced. Problem is, I don't think it can be replaced unless I rip the wall apart to get to it. I'm at the point I need to buy more waste tank treatment. I'll buy that Odorlos and give it a wirl. I'll also roll by Lowes and see if I can build myself a carbon canister for the breather tube. Thanks for the advice!

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread