houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anchoring

I have a 58' Lakeview and have only anchored a couple times. I tied to one of the corner cleats. I'm wondering if I might be better off dropping an anchor from both corners and tie to both cleats? Should help with swinging and lessens the chance of coming loose too?

Both front corners? If that is so, seems to me that a good wind would still swing the boat and just twist the two lines together. I always nose into shore and tie off.

Nashville, TN
    I throw 1 anchor out at 3 X my depth. I'm typically in ~30' of water, so 90' of anchor rode is out there. I've only broken lose a couple times and that was due to heavy sudden gusts. In heavy wind, you need to let out more rode. I've put out nearly all my anchor rode on a couple occasions, which is 125', and it held nicely.

You want your boat to sing from the anchor. When it swings, it's going to the path of least resistance to the wind. When it doesn't swing, you're pulling hard on your anchor and you'll either bend it, break the rope, or start dragging anchor.

Something to beware of when anchored is to mind your outdrives and the anchor rope, if the rope floats. My rope floats, which is good and bad. Good: because if the anchor line snaps, I might be able to recover my anchor again because my rope will still be floating above it. Bad: idiot boaters might run it over if they fly by me too closely; if my boat floats over top of the anchor in changing winds, it can wrap around the outdrives. That hasn't occured yet, but it's a risk.

Watch youtube for 'how to' videos on anchoring.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Edenton, NC
    Opinion: (Worth every cent.) In our part of the watery world, a bit more open than your lakes/rivers, 6:1 or 7:1 is considered standard rode length. 3:1 is ok for a lunch hook here, with eyes on it for dragging. Overnight on the hook, we pay out at least 6:1 (in perfectly-still, protected water), more if storms are about, and set the anchor alarm on our iPad gps program. The more chain you have lying on the bottom, the more resistant it is to dragging. Our anchor line is centered between the two pontoons, and cleated off on a big reinforced center cleat, and we figure we're in a boat, not parked, like a car, and we expect to weather-vane. So will any other boats in the anchorage. If you have a stout cleat on each pontoon, you might consider making a bridle- get a good strong piece of line a yard or so longer than the distance between your two forward cleats. Fix one end to one of those forward cleats, tie a loop in the middle, tie your anchor line onto the loop with a bowline hitch, and fix the other end to the other forward cleat. Put a lock-hitch on each forward cleat when you tie it down. That won't necessarily solve your swinging problem, but it might make it more coordinated-feeling.

what got me thinking was we were tied to another boat. He had his anchor on the starboard cleat. I was tied on his port side. As we swung I dropped an anchor and tied off to my port cleat. It cut down the swinging and it seemed solid. Which was very beneficial for people swimming and floating off the back. If it swings too much people can end up a long way from teh back of the boat when it swings away.

Pacific Northwest
    If you don't want to swing; lower your bow anchor, back down until you have way more than you need out ( 7:1 or more) and then lower an anchor off the stern. Pull forward until you are centered between the two.

Alternately: if you have a dinghy or small boat on your houseboat. Anchor by the bow as you would normally. Put the other anchor and line in the boat with the anchor line secured to the houseboat, row or motor out and lower the anchor.

This is not good in an anchorage where there are a lot of boats swinging to their anchors.

It really is a great forum. I love this place!

+ Reply to Thread