Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transducer wiring question

Transducer wiring question

I have 2 Hummingbird depth sounders on my boat along with 2 transducers mounted near the bottoms of the lower units. Port side transducer goes to the lower helm and Sb side transducer goes to the upper helm. Lower helm’s transducer was gone when I bought the boat, but top always worked until 1 month ago when it started throwing random numbers all the time. In the past, to fix this, I would clean the debris off the transducer and it would be fine. That’s no working anymore, so I think it’s shot now – it’s 9 years old anyway.

Since my transducers are on the stern of the boat and my gauges are at the helms, you can imagine I have some very long wires, which you can’t buy at any store. I don’t want to buy a new gauge or run new wiring for new gauges. I simply want to buy new transducers and splice their wiring into the existing ones traveling forward through the boat. Keep in mind that this is a pontoon boat, not a monohull. The manufacturer ran the cables through a very difficult area to access.

Is it possible to splice the transducer wires or are they the type of wires you can’t cut and reconnect? Transducer model number is a Humingbird XNT-920.
    Last edited by GoVols; 09-10-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

They MAY be spliceable but I don't think it's recommended.

To be honest I think I'd order new transducers, knock out the old ones and go swimming, before the water gets too cold.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Google "can you splice a transducer cable". There are several discussions about the process.

It appears that extensions or jumpers may be available and you may be able to avoid a splice. The transducers themselves seem to come with a twenty foot cable as sold, so an attempt at finding a pull apart joint or junction it may be possible to simply pull apart and replace unit. The extensions can be found on page 20 here, but they are referenced to the unit no. not transducer no. Anyway wishing you luck and carry on..
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

I love you guys! I talked to my boat's manufacturer and he explained how to access the cables going to the helm. He also said there should be an extension cord used for the original run, so I'll have to try and pull the wire through to get to the connection point. If I can get to the connection, then I'll just buy a new transducer with the 20' of cord, plug it in, and play!
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

If you can get to the connection, you might get lucky and discover THAT'S the problem. (hey it could happen...)
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

+ Reply to Thread