Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Party Deck Railing Question

Party Deck Railing Question

We have committed to an 80 foot Somerset and now have an issue we need to take care of with the upper deck railing. There is a gap of about 12-14 inches from the middle horizontal bar to the deck. We have a smaller dog that would more than likely go over the side through that gap. I thought about getting a small steel cable with turnbuckles and run it from one stanchion on one end around to the other and then attaching a netting material to it. But I'm worried about putting too much stress on the stanchions and possibly damaging their mounting on the deck. I'd post a pic if I could but I can't seem to get one to upload. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could do to fill in the gap? Thanks everyone!

It might be easier / cheaper to train the dog.

However, many install a canvass wall / curtain.

Yeah, this dog is pretty much untrainable...hahaha...it's more like this dog and our other one will be up there running around and playing, then off the side she'll go...Id have no problem installing a full width canvas, but I have nothing on the bottom to attach to.

I screwed a small eye strap to the bottom of each stanchion, and secure the canvas to them with zip ties. You could just as easily run a cable through the eye straps and secure the bottom of the canvas/netting to the cable. Won't put any undue strain on the stanchion or the deck, and won't put any holes in the deck.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Stmbtwle, that's a great idea. I'm thinking I may need to run with that one!

I stretched cable at the bottom of the railing of the first houseboat I had and attached canvas to it. Never had a problem with it.

+ Reply to Thread