Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hmm New Bucket List Ideal

Hmm New Bucket List Ideal

Two of my kids just gave me another grandson. I went to Gulf Shores Alabama to visit and stayed too long, though my kids insist I didn't.
    I really liked Gulf Shores and threatened them with buying an RV and moving down there. Then today it hit me maybe I already have the correct waterborne RV!!

So I am located just above the tombigbee waterway and it goes to Mobile bay on which they are buying a house located on that bay!!

What would be the challenges of taking my 60' aluminum houseboat to Gulf Shores be? One I assume Mobile Bay is Salt water so would have to find a river marina??

This might be fun?!?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    I f your serious about Gulf Shores I have a 3 bedroom in one of the nicest neighborhoods that I will be selling shortly.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I bought my houseboat at Lake Pickwick and brought it to Pensacola running the Dirty Dozen. You should not have any problems making the trip. Get a good guide book to help you in your float plan.

Now finding a Live-a-board Marina for a 60 footer down here may be a challenge.

We do have some rivers that empty into the bays around here.
    The Perdido River on the Alabama / Florida state line is one that is close to Mobile Bay by car.

I have seen 60 footers up there, at private homes / docks.

I have a buddy that bought a lot, built a pier, and lives on his boat.
    Last edited by BananaTom; 10-01-2015 at 06:00 PM.

The Kids (lol, always kids to parents) are buying a home. Prefer one on the water, 3 or 4 bedroom. PM or email me the info and I will pass it along.

One of the houses they are presently looking at, Bon Secour River area, has a 100 foot dock, not sure if it is deep enough, looked shallow.

Would I need to overly worry about the salt water in Mobile Bay just for a month or two stay?

Tom did you post a thread about your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by desimulacra View Post
    Would I need to overly worry about the salt water in Mobile Bay just for a month or two stay?

Tom did you post a thread about your trip?
    I would not worry about the Salt Water for a month or 6.

No, I did not write a Log about the trip, I should.
    We did spend a night at Pirates Place on the way down

If I actually do this, good chance but in a year or two, I'll also stop there!

Lots of nice rivers in that (broadly speaking) area. Look at Fowl River, (AL) too. Only place I know of in the lower 48 where the U.S. Mail is delivered by boat.

Was there this weekend, we looked at houses and the kids are still hung on one with a dock! looking good for my bucket list!!!

Foul you say!

That would be a great place to park a houseboat. Quiet water, not too salty IIRC, scenic neighborhood--- right along the kids' dock, within easy babysitting range. Dock fee just about right, too.Sounds perfect.

Checked it out and it is on the wrong side of mobile bay. His job is in Elberta, close to road kill cafe.

+ Reply to Thread