Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Suntex customers?

Any Suntex customers?

We've been told that our marina is under contract to be sold to Suntex Marinas. Of course, we're all trying to figure out how we feel about this.

Their website shows they own marinas in 9 states including Georgia, Florida, and Arkansas. I was just wondering if any of you were slip holders in one of them and if so - I would be interested in hearing whatever you care to share about management, prices, maintenance, etc.

Ours is. I'm not sure how to answer the question though. There are some things I think they have done a very nice job with and other areas, I'm not so sure? But, part of that was turnover in those departments. They have made a lot of improvements in areas as well. Security on the docks for example. Our prices are expensive but that isn't any different than it ever has been. We have had a 3 to 4% price increase each year I think? Again, not any different than previous owners. The facilities are kept up very well. They have purchased a lot of new equipment such as a trailer that can handle any boat in our marina. It's hydraulic and can do sailboats, cruisers to 60 plus foot houseboats. Which for me is nice. Our boat ramp is steep but the boat comes all the way up perfectly level. No need to worry about stuff flying out of cabinets.

At some point I think they are going to hit a tipping point with prices though. When and what that is, I don't know. Overall, I think they do a nice job

Quote Originally Posted by SinOrSwim View Post
    Ours is. I'm not sure how to answer the question though. There are some things I think they have done a very nice job with and other areas, I'm not so sure? But, part of that was turnover in those departments. They have made a lot of improvements in areas as well. Security on the docks for example. Our prices are expensive but that isn't any different than it ever has been. We have had a 3 to 4% price increase each year I think? Again, not any different than previous owners. The facilities are kept up very well. They have purchased a lot of new equipment such as a trailer that can handle any boat in our marina. It's hydraulic and can do sailboats, cruisers to 60 plus foot houseboats. Which for me is nice. Our boat ramp is steep but the boat comes all the way up perfectly level. No need to worry about stuff flying out of cabinets.

At some point I think they are going to hit a tipping point with prices though. When and what that is, I don't know. Overall, I think they do a nice job
    Thanks for the information, SinOrSwim. We have had about the same price increases every year since we've been here, so I don't expect that to change. We are remaining optimistic that maybe a larger company can bring more capital improvements. Your comment about turnover is one of my concerns. The marina is in a VERY rural location. The current owners have always struggled with attracting and keeping good help. I will be anxious to see how a non-local firm will handle that. I would love to see photos of that trailer in action. Haul-outs are a challenge on our end of the lake.

I will give them credit. They have new tractors (not that big 4 wheel drive one though) hauling things, they have a new floating crane to deal with docks and buoys, new mobile bathrooms that are air conditioned trailers vs. port a potties. This company at least takes the money we are spending and upgrading facilities. The turnover was only in the service department and much of that could be because they took the service department over from an outside vendor that used to operate that area. Now, it is all marina operated. Time will tell if that is a good or bad thing. They have added a marine store on-site which stocks A LOT more things. That part is very nice. The old group stocked a few things but it was so over-priced if you picked something up it was covered in dust.

It has not been overly negative at all. Like anything, there have been a few issues. But, who doesn't have that?

?? Did photos of trailer get deleted? They were there last night.

I still see the pics?

Issue was on my end. I can see them now. Sorry.

Where is this marina, if you don't mind?

Saylorville Lake in Polk City, Iowa.

+ Reply to Thread