Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade Powerplant and drive

Threaded View

Upgrade Powerplant and drive

Looking for advice. I have a 1977 14x60 Sumerset houseboat with one engine. Yea I know .

First off when I am standing around the docks and the other owners are talking of 600k, million plus and other deals I am wondering how I am going to pay my $100.00 slip maintenance fee (and hoping they don't find out how poor I am and kick me out of the club). So I need to minimize costs. That being said my boat is my baby and home. I got her back after the divorce worse for wear, imagine that She has a 305 Mercruiser 228 and TRS drive. The Mercruiser was not winterized and has a busted block and exhaust. The TRS (hope I got that right) is reworked but tired.
    I am thinking of taking it to a local service yard and having a new outdrive and motor installed. That will of course be expensive.
    So to restate. I am looking for ways that I might minimize my costs and still have a reliable drive.

Do you boat on a lake or river? I have a 15 x 50 powered by a single 4cylinder that's on a lake. Work great and sips fuel wouldn't change a thing. Look at the Merc 3.0 and alpha drive set up if your on a lake. You might want to consider an outboard too.

I boat on a Kentucky lake and only go short distances. If I decide to travel I will want two drives.

Got a neighbor that pulled his 4 banger out of his newer boat and put a plate on the hole. Concerned about leaks and uses it for a water condo. I had hoped to get it but I think he is hanging on to it now.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Saying goodbye to the TRS is not a bad thing.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

May be more money than you'd like to spend, MERCRUISER 3.0L COMPLETE ENGINE ALPHA DRIVE PACKAGE NEW. But then again I'm uncertain as to what a total rebuild of the motor and out drive would set you back.

Called a local shop. They suggested about 9-10k for complete job

+ Reply to Thread