Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waste holding tank

Waste holding tank

1991Gibson, the fresh water tank leaks, how long can I expect the waste water tank to last?

Depends on what it is made of and how it has been used. If it is poly and thick enough, it should outlast the boat. If it is aluminum, most people say 10-15 years because the uric acid in your waste will eat away at the welds.

My boat has an aluminum holding tank. The bottom and one side were like a colander... dozens of soft spots that weeped. Everyone said I had to replace it; no way to seal it. Problem is, it is part of the transom the motor is mounted on.
    I mixed up a big batch of JB Weld and troughed it on everywhere it was leaking. That was 8 years ago. Not a leak since then.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    I love JB Weld. I used it on a freeze busted Kohler water jacket. It was still going 10 years later when I lost track of the boat.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I love JB Weld, too. If I can get at the water tank to see where it leaks, hope I can use it.

we had a 1989 Gibson 42 ft. the water tank was leaking terrible. I took the section of floor above the tank out, it was actually very easy it was just held in with drywall screws.I had a new one made for 600$ all in all it took me 2 hours to pull and reinstall the new tank. I had the new tank built to just fit inside the stringers,it was 110 gls.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Usually, it depends on your maintenance. I am using stainless steel water storage tanks for more than 15 years and it also started leaking from at least three to four places. I got it repaired and now there is no leakage and giving me its perfect service after repair for more than 3 years.

My 1969 River Queen had a poly tank and it's still fine. Why would manufacturers switch to metal when the poly tank lasted almost 50 years and still going?

Senior Member Frantically Relaxing's Avatar
    Because poly ain't perfect either. While the tank itself is pretty much indestructible, the inlets and outlets aren't.

and FWIW, my 29 year old aluminum holding tank isn't leaking yet...
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32
    2002 Regal 2860 Commodore
    1987 Sea Ray 21' Seville midcabin
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

+ Reply to Thread