AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steel Hull Maintenance.

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville
    OHB

I have no idea. I think it was manufactured in 1969.
    If I see him tomorrow I will let you know.
    The roof looks like it was poorly resurfaced fiberglass. Although painted, you can still see the imprints from a course fiberglass mat. I am assuming it is not the original.
    I believe it is an inboard/outboard single engine. I never looked at the stern. with what I think he said was a 30 gal gas tank. I thought that was awfully small, so that too may have been replaced.
    I will probably see him tomorrow.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

Well, once he has it hauled, he will know what he has to do. Up to that point he can claim a certain amount of ignorance. Once the bottom is in view, then he has to do something about it. If the bottom looks like crap and looks like it could fail, then he may not be able to put it back in the water until it is addressed.

He should be able to look in the engine room bilge to get some idea of how the inside of the hull looks.

I'm surprised the marina is allowing that boat to remain there without proof of adequate insurance. If the owner can't afford to have their sunken vessel properly removed, it becomes the marina's financial responsibility. Depending on how they're insured and the verbage of their contract, this guy's boat might not be covered by their insurance either, which would put it squarely on the shoulders of the marina owner.

A marina owner on my lake was telling me all about the nightmares he had with steel hulls the last several years. People simply let them sink at the dock instead of paying big bucks to have them maintained / repaired. Once they sank, the marina owner never could find the boat's owner and had to foot the recovery bills himself. His new policy is, if you can't show proof of adequate insurance, you must leave the marina or simply turn the boat over to him for immediate disposal....for which he keeps the scrap value. He no longer allows new steel hulls to dock there and neither do any of the other marinas on our lake.
    Last edited by GoVols; 02-16-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Finally ran into my neighbor.
    The boat is a 43' 1967 Drifter

I gave him a hand today pumping water out of the hull. Probably over 200 gallons. Hose was leaking.

Anyway, when it is completely dried and aired out, he wil wirewheel andl scrape inside hull where he can

I suggested that he then paint the inside hull to further protect it. He said he was told not to paint the inside of a steel hull.
    Is there any reason why it should not be painted?
    Houseboater at Heart

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You don't paint it so it will rust out faster and have to be replaced sooner. The guy he's getting his advice from must really hate his guts.

I cannot believe a 1967 Drifter is still afloat. Someone had to take REALLY good care of it.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 03-07-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I know of a couple of old Drifters that are still floating - they have had the bottoms redone. They were neat boats back in the day.

Unless he is planning on gutting that boat, he will not be able to reach a whole lot of the hull from the inside. He should paint whatever he can reach. I would be very concerned about the welds around the through hull pipes. Now that I know what boat he is dealing with, I will agree to what has been posted before. That boat can suffer a failure of the hull that could sink it very quickly. I would not live on it without very loud, redundant high water alarms.

A big YES on the high water alarms. I had already suggested that to him. I showed him how loud my high water bilge alarm gets.
    In the past he only owned bass boats and is totally new to bigger boats. He is getting too much advice from too many people and with limited resources, he tends to be more complacent.
    At this point, he may be safer not doing anything in the hull until he hauls it out for an inspection, when ever that may happen. Right now he is going to do his best to keep the huil dry. He is buying 3 dehumidifiers for down there.

I told him I would ask about the painting of the inside hull. I cant imaging why someone would advise against it, so I thought that I was missing something. One person claimed that it would hide the rust and I told him "not for very long. and with white paint, the rust would leave a stain trail from places he couldn't see.

He also has severe external corrosion at deck to hull joint and the deck to house joints. Some places have small visible holes right through it. He is going to buy an angle grinder with some cup wire brushes. I told hem to check out a few places because they could be any where from 2 to 10 times more extensive than he could see. He was thinking of painting the house first and I told him that the welders might have to tear away part of the house to fix it.

Anyway, what exactly did you mean by "they had the bottoms redone"? Are you talking about, the inside, outside or both?

I want to thanks all of you guys for the help, not only on his behalf, but on mine also. I am getting a tremendous education.
    Houseboater at Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    Anyway, what exactly did you mean by "they had the bottoms redone"? Are you talking about, the inside, outside or both?
    That would mean the bottom was replaced
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

Yes - replated. Basically removing and replacing the hull from a few inches above the waterline.

However, based on the corrosion that hes has everywhere else, he should extradite himself as soon as possible from that boat. I would not spend a single dime on working on it.

The other day he was wire-wheeling and priming the deck. Most looked OK but some bad corrosion where you could see through the deck. He is convinced Bondo will be OK.
    Anyway, he plans on a haul-out sometime in June to check out the hull. I hope he follows through. I dont think he cleaned up the rust properly. I think he just went so far and then primed. I'm basing that on the time it took to wire-wheel and prime. He only did the front when I was there. Some of the really bad spots were where the hull meets the house along the sides.
    Anyway, I shared my thoughts and yours. Maybe all will be OK at the haul-out.
    Houseboater at Heart

+ Reply to Thread