AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Get Rid of Boat Odors - Peggy Hall

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville

Get Rid of Boat Odors - Peggy Hall

I know Peggy Hall and her book "Get Rid of Boat Odors" has been discussed on here before.
    I was just on a Trawler Forum when I saw that she now has a new revised, expanded and updated version available. It is being sold through a sailboat forum store. and here is the link: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615.

This is a great book and gives invaluable information for getting rid of boat odors, winterizing and re-commissioning your head and fresh water systems.
    She now is going more in depth about the laws and regulations of marine MSD's and also how to choose and install a system.

Peggy has been a great help to me in deciding to go with the Purasan type 1 MSD. This no more pump-outs was the best thing I ever did to any boat I have ever owned. It's not legal everywhere, but it is legal in many more places than most would suspect.

I came by boat from Houston, Tx area to Knoxviille, Tn and my Purasan is legal the whole trip. Soon I will be leaving here and heading to Kentucky Lake and the Cumberland River and so far as I have looked, It is legal that whole trip.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book to everyone that owns a boat.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

Peggy was once an active member here.
    She knows her stuff.

She retired a few years back and rarely was ever on a forum during that retirement period. I didn't ask her, but I will assume she is still retired from forums but has rewritten the book. I noticed her on a cruisers forum a few days ago and then I saw her again on trawlerforum.com.
    She lived aboard for many many, years and is quite a knowledgeable boater. With her knowledge and experience combined, she could have written just about anything. She chose marine Sanitation Devices. Great sense of humor referring to herself as "The Head Mistress".
    Once you delve into her first book, it becomes obvious that she really did her homework. She can take apart and reassemble just about any marine head made - probably all of them.
    She makes everything simple because she knows her stuff.
    Maybe she will pop in here to say hello, no tellin'.

TOM
    We may be going past you by boat in a year or so. We are thinking "Cuba" and "the Great Loop" after Kentucky Lake and the Cumberland. Just in the thinking stage.
    Looking forward to seeing you again and hopefully OHB will be available. I'll probably catch Pirate on the way back down.
    Last edited by Tony B; 02-11-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    Houseboater at Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    TOM
    We are thinking "Cuba" and "the Great Loop"
    That would be fun. The Great Loop with a side trip to Cuba.

I have followed a few Loopers on their blogs before.
    One I watched allot, was friends with a member on here, Rusty AKA The Judge.
    He rode with them for a little while and got me interested in the 7000 mile trip.
    They went all up in Canada, I think it was a three year trip they took.
    Took a winter off, Shrink wrapped the boat up, up North somewhere, and flew home around Georgia area, until the thaw.

The Great Loop, what an awesome trip.
    5000 or 7000 miles, your choice.

OHB has his house for sale and I believe he is planning on moving to the East Coast, Jacksonville area if my memory is working.
    You may have to catch hem when your headed North up the East Coast.

I would like to do the loop over a 3 year period - do the haul and shrink wrap deal, but the admiral wants to do it all in one or 2 years without the shrink wrap.
    I was thinking her idea might work also. We could go to Ky Lake and Cumberland as planned this year (2016). Then in late fall, head down to Pickwick lake for winter 2016 and into summer of 2017.
    Fall of 2017, head down to Florida/Cuba for winter 2017/2018. In Spring of 2018, head north and continue on with Great Loop and get out of the Great lakes by Sept 1 of 2018 and head south till we get to say Demopolis, Al. Spend Winter 2018/2019 there and then come up with a new plan.
    Houseboater at Heart

The Northern Route has two options. The more Northern Route takes into Canada, and there water system, which is what the Looper I followed did. Pretty awesome to see a boat, placed on a rail car, and then travel over the damn, high and dry. Great way to check the bottom job I thought.

I encountered a blog site or whatever that distracted me for awhile just this morning.

gl_map1a-346x506.jpg

Here's the link in case some someone else might enjoy the distraction....
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

I think the author got a littlw carried away with his fuel requirements and mileage. He was talking about the possibility of Bobby's Fish Camp might go out of business and stop selling fuel. here is a quote............. "370 miles between Demopolis Yacht Basin and Eastern Shore Marina at Fairhope, AL or Dog River Marina in Mobil Demopolis Lock and Dam is mile 213 on the Tom BigBee. Mile zero is just north of Downtown Mobile. Add about another 20 miles to get to Dog River Marina. That's a far cry from 370 miles. I dont see Bobby's Fish Camp shutting down any time soon. Although I wish they would go belly-up and get a new owner. They have the worst attitude in the world. Their problem solving is simple "you dont like it -leave". I think the place could be a gold mine. I have met many people including myself that would rather fuel up in either Dog River or Demopolis just to avoid bobby's Fish Camp. Some other info on theer is also not quite right.
    Bamby, I do thank you for that link though.
    Houseboater at Heart

I hit Bobby's Fish Camp coming South at Sunrise.
    I think that might have helped,
    as the beer bottles were still all over the front yard.

I did not see any bodies however, they must have already picked them up.

Got my fuel, and topped off my water, and headed South.

And since this is in Tony B's thread, he can derail it all he wants.

+ Reply to Thread