Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Houseboat roof

New Houseboat roof

I've bought an old pontoon houseboat 14' x 37' and got it hauled to my house so it would be easier for me to work on. The old roof and some of the rafters were shot. I've removed the entire roof and all of the rafters and replaced the rafters and have placed osb board on top. My thought was to get someone to fiberglass this again, this is basically what it was originally. I've had a tough time finding someone to do the fiberglass work. Since I've ran into this I've also looked into the possibility of doing the white epdm rubber roofing. My other thought was to use the metal roofing panels. I'm getting older and I'm not really interested in using the top deck. The boat originally had a fly bridge on it but I've removed it. Too much trouble to try to get it hauled with the extra height.
    I've all but given up on the fiberglass, can't get anyone to even quote it so I know if I find one I'm going to pay dearly for it.
    EPDM I could do myself but the roof is wider than the normal 10' wide sheets, The roof is 11'9" wide.
    What's everyone's thought about the metal panel roofing? I could get the full length but I'm thinking to go half length a lot easier to haul and easier to install. I would also be using the caulking under the seams both on the ends and sides.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    use the rubber roof cross ways. You will only have 3 or 4 joints to seal.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

when I did a crest I used some stuff from a commercial roofer that had tabs every 3 feet that you screwed down and no seams.it came 20 ft. wide and I cut it to fit , it was a mixture of rubber and some other material. in 2000 it was 1300$ for enough to do it including the hold down strips. I called the guy who has it now and he says its still like new.check with a commercial roofer .the boat was a 43ft crest houser.just another thought for you.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Thanks, I had looked at the rubber roofing but the guy selling it really pushed the wider (no seams), I'm guessing because it cost almost twice as much.
    42gibson any idea of what they called this? I've talked to one roofer but he wasn't sure what you were referring to. Maybe he just doesn't do the right type roof to have seen this.
    I wasn't sure of the metal roof and the screws staying secure and leak free over time with the continuous movement of the boat.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Check out the Manufactured home reroofers in your area for the rubber roofs. They last over 25 years here in Florida.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Thanks, I had looked at the rubber roofing but the guy selling it really pushed the wider (no seams), I'm guessing because it cost almost twice as much.
    42gibson any idea of what they called this? I've talked to one roofer but he wasn't sure what you were referring to. Maybe he just doesn't do the right type roof to have seen this.
    I wasn't sure of the metal roof and the screws staying secure and leak free over time with the continuous movement of the boat.
    I got it from hicks roofing new Philadelphia ohio,330-364-7737, it was the rubber- pvc mixture with tabs to screw it down.its a commercial grade that came in 20ft width cut to length.you can get it in black or white,i used white to keep the heat down.i put rolled roofing down first then used stainless screws in the tabs to hold it down.pretty easy to do with a couple friends.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I did my roof last year. I used roof kit from Menards. It's a epdm rubber roofing. Comes in white. Worked out great. It comes in 10' wide so you'll only have one seam down the middle. Going to post about my fun doing it on here just didn't have the time. Ask any questions you have.

I went with the EDPM 10' wide and laid this sideways across the boat. Had 3 seams but then I only had to buy a 50' roll.
    Only problem I had was watching too many videos. I watched what I thought was every mule hide video on their site and they all showed a water based adhesive and once you put it down you could pull the cover over and sweep it down. I didn't do enough reading until the first section bubbled up real bad and then figured out I had a solvent based adhesive which you had to let flash before covering. A few bad wrinkles in the back section but other than that it turned out OK.
    Thanks for the help.

You can check out the reroofers near your area.

+ Reply to Thread