Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Verify the rating on a crane/davit

Verify the rating on a crane/davit

I am replacing the winch on my 1995 Lakeview. The old motor was rated at 3300lb. It was a Rule Industry V33S. I want to use it to lift a waverunner to the top deck. I am unsure right now if I have the original paperwork that may show what the crane is rated for?

Is it stamped anywhere? Is there an easy way to verify what the rating would be for the crane itself? I have been told the crane is typically rated higher than the motor and that motor was the original.

I want to make sure everything is safe before I start lifting anything. If memory serves the waverunner is about 700lbs.

Thanks

One more thing. I'm seeing a ton of winches that have a rating but is it a pull rating or a lift rating? Very few seem to differentiate and I do know there is a big difference between pulling an item and lifting it.

On a 1995 model houseboat, the crane could be rated from 700 to 1200 lbs. They typically built them to lift the average weight jetski of the time. It is not so much the winch or the cable as it is the hidden support structure under the crane.

+ Reply to Thread