Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auto-tracking satellite

Auto-tracking satellite

I know 42Gibson has a setup on his boat, but I am curious as to if anyone else out there has something. I want to add a couple TVs to the boat (whatever I get), and I would like to be able to have them usable as we would be traveling. Look at this as a compromise to keep the day boaters happy.

Last time I looked, "Follow Me" satellite tv was the best for the money.

However, now that I think about it, that was 2010.

self tracking runs anywhere from 1200 and up,there are several used ones on e-bay for around 600 which I have bought and used before and am looking at now.make sure you get one that only needs a coax to hook up,the previous one I had had a coax and a 7 wire cable to run...what a mess
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Jamie

I have a Wingard full motion SD RV antenna. It’s been on the boat about 5 yrs. The RV unit was MUCH cheaper than a marine unit.

The Wingard has worked great for me. The only issue I had was that the RV unit is designed to stop tracking and lock on to the signal ( or go to sleep) when the RV is parked and then wake up and track when it senses movement of the RV. While at anchor and not moving very much the unit would think it was parked and go to sleep. Then when the boat swung a little there was not enough movement to trigger the sensor and wake the unit up. Wingard had me change the settings on a couple dip switches disabling the sleep mode. So as long as it is powered on it continues to track.
    When at the dock or beached when I don't need the tracking I simply turn it off after acquires the signal and it will stay locked on.

Considering the small size , full motion and low cost I think turning the unit off manually instead of automatically is a small inconvenience that I am willing to have.

Also Somehow I missed your PM (just found it). I would consider giving Dennis Pluckebaum a call. He may have some history/info on the boat that may be useful.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by boatlover View Post
    Jamie

I have a Wingard full motion SD RV antenna. It’s been on the boat about 5 yrs. The RV unit was MUCH cheaper than a marine unit.

The Wingard has worked great for me. The only issue I had was that the RV unit is designed to stop tracking and lock on to the signal ( or go to sleep) when the RV is parked and then wake up and track when it senses movement of the RV. While at anchor and not moving very much the unit would think it was parked and go to sleep. Then when the boat swung a little there was not enough movement to trigger the sensor and wake the unit up. Wingard had me change the settings on a couple dip switches disabling the sleep mode. So as long as it is powered on it continues to track.
    When at the dock or beached when I don't need the tracking I simply turn it off after acquires the signal and it will stay locked on.

Considering the small size , full motion and low cost I think turning the unit off manually instead of automatically is a small inconvenience that I am willing to have.

Also Somehow I missed your PM (just found it). I would consider giving Dennis Pluckebaum a call. He may have some history/info on the boat that may be useful.

I have already been dealing with him on it. The dance continues.

I will take a look at the Winegard units.

Nice Plucke located on north KY lake. Check craiglist no. 5579556107

Quote Originally Posted by Fork-lift-king View Post
    Nice Plucke located on north KY lake. Check craiglist no. 5579556107
    Not sure why you posted this in this thread, unless it is because it has a tracking device on it.
    But Holy Cow!! You are correct, this one is awesome:

http://gregcookyacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
    Not sure why you posted this in this thread, unless it is because it has a tracking device on it.
    But Holy Cow!! You are correct, this one is awesome:

http://gregcookyacht.com
    Yeah. It is amazing. But WAY out of my price range.

That is a very high end boat. The company I used to work for made the Crestron unit that controls the electronics on that boat. There is probably over $10,000 in home automation electronics on that boat.

+ Reply to Thread