Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purasan issue, seeking answers please!!

Question Purasan issue, seeking answers please!!

Ok, so here's my issue. We bought the boat a few months ago. It has a Purasan system on board with two Raritan Atlantes heads. Every time we flush we get a horrible sewage smell outside of the boat. Bad enough that we don't want to use them when our boating neighbors are here. At one point we had some sewage shooting out of the vents when we flushed. I ran some water down the vents thinking they may have been clogged. The smell still continues. I've pumped the tanks a few times still to no avail. It also appears to get worse when the holding tanks indicate half full. The remote indicator panel never goes below 1/4 tank when pumping out. This is not a vacuum system. For some reason I just can't figure this one out. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Have you validated that you have the treatment tablets for the system? It might just need new ones put in.

Yep, new tablets were put in about a month ago. Going to do some prodding tomorrow and see if I can find anything obvious. Maybe disconnect the vent hoses and do a thorough cleaning. That is if I can get to them.

You need to take a hard look at how your system is set up. If you are running your Purasan systems and they are running correctly and you are in an area where they are allowed, then there should be no tanks involved in the process. You should flush, the water/waste goes from the Atlantes heads, to the Pursasan system to be treated, then it goes overboard. If your Purasans are plumbed into holding tanks, then you are just wasting time, money, and electricity. Treated waste from a Purasan that goes into a holding tank is going to end up smelling.

If you do not feel knowledgeable enough to track all of this down yourself, then hire someone to do it. There is something going on here that you do not understand. Once you understand how your system is set up, then you can figure out how to make it work correctly.

You need to see if your vent line has a carbon filter to scrub the stink out of the air before it's pushed out of the tank. I built my own out of PVC pipe and aquarium filter media and carbon that you can buy at any walmart.

I didn't have a Purasan system. Mine was simply a holding tank, but I too would clear the docks when I flushed my toilets. Once I installed this, there were no more problems. 1 thing though, you need to ensure you manage the level of waste in your tank because saturating the carbon in this air filter will reduce the life of it big time. I made my carbon canister to where it was serviceable. The store-bought ones will run you ~$75 and are not serviceable. The one I built cost me ~$35 to make.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by GoVols; 05-16-2016 at 05:45 AM.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

on previous boats we had with holding tanks we used chemical deodorizers we bought at Walmart in the rv section. we never ever had a smell from our tanks. now we have a purisan and over board discharge and no holding tanks.i do however use chlorine tabs in the water strainer plus the tabs for the purisan.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

So there is where I'm a bit confused with the setup. The previous owner told me that the waste goes through the Purasan system, then to a holding tanks. In my case, two holding tanks. Once the tanks are full then they either need to be pumped out or discharged over-board where appropriate. I have to empty the tanks when they are half full because the sewage smell is awful outside after every flush. I haven't tackled the system yet. It's not the easiest to get to and requires removing some duct work to really get to the hart of it, but I'm hoping to do that witching the next day or two. I hate not knowing a system and the correct way it should be operating. I'm going to get ahold of Raritan and see if they can give some insight.

Is it leaving one holding tank and then hitting the 2nd before it can be dumped overboard?

Good question, and one I don't have an answer to. Hopefully I'll know more when I climb down there and check it out.

Yuck. What a nasty problem to have to deal with. Is there any point in calling Raritan and asking their expert for his take on the matter? Vic Willman used to be their guru, an amazingly nice guy, who knew everything about it, but I think he retired. Might be worth asking, though. Once you've taken a good look at your set-up, and have the model numbers at hand, you should be able to answer questions they might have, get some answers, and maybe save yourself a lot of trouble. Peggie Hall's updated version of her book on boat odors might also be worth a read.

+ Reply to Thread