Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie with survey/bottom paint questions

Newbie with survey/bottom paint questions

We are upgrading from a cabin cruiser to a Gibson sport series. The marine survey is scheduled for Friday, but we are only doing an in water survey at this time. We already know the bottom paint needs to be done and the expense and scheduling nightmare of pulling it out of the water twice (once now and once to do the bottom) is more than we wish to pursue at this point. Our plan is to wait until fall and pull it out to do the bottom paint and get a marine survey out of the water at that point before launching her again.

I have a few questions. Given that we won't have the out of water survey until Fall, is there anything we should look for in particular while in and around the boat including in the water swimming alongside it?

I have located a transport company to pull it out of the water, but I need to have it chalked to complete the bottom paint. (Husband has painting experience and painted the bottom of our cabin cruiser last year.) I have a transient lot near the marina I can rent while the bottom paint is being done. Since I have no experience in this, who supplies the supports? If us, where the heck do we find such a thing?

Lastly, even though there is no evidence of boot leak, should we replace the boot while it is out of the water regardless?

Here is what we know about the boat. It is currently on it's 3rd owner. It has always been in a covered slip. It was moved one time from one lake to another. From appearances it is in excellent condition. We know the current owner and he is constantly washing, spraying, and otherwise obsessively taking care of the boat.

If you are going to pull it out of the water, then I would service the outdrives.

I would never buy a boat without an out of water survey.
    However, since it appears you are heading that way, hire a diver to inspect the bottom, using a GoPro Video.

Again, you reference a "Nightmare of Scheduling Haul-outs"
    Imagine the Nightmare of a bottom full of blisters in the fiberglass from neglect of bottom maintenance.

Three rules of Purchase:
    1: Sea Trial
    2: Mechanic Inspection
    3: Out of Water Survey.

This has been discussed often on here.
    I know many horror stories by those who fail to follow these rules.

Boat Jack Stands can be rented, in my neck of the woods, from marinas.
    They can be purchased if no one rents them.
    Last edited by BananaTom; 07-18-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Boat Jack Stands for sale:

http://www.boatdepot.com/p-419/brown...bz8RoCBmjw_wcB

You may want to do a search on Craigslist for some for rent, or used ones for sale.
    It appears there may not be any marinas around your lake.
    They are the ones that may have some for rent.

You also need big wooden blocks to support the Keel.

What about the condition of the Zincs?
    How will you know what damage electrolysis may have done to the metals?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    DO NOT buy a boat without an out of the water survey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OHB
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

our present Gibson had blisters on the bottom when pulled,it was 10,000 to fix it.our previous Gibson we didn't pull for a out of water inspection and the insurance company would only give us liability insurance until the boat was pulled and inspected. old houseboater is right,,,never buy a boat until its pulled and everything is inspected closely by a "good" surveyor!
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

+ Reply to Thread