Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there no water hook up on a Gibson???

Threaded View

Is there no water hook up on a Gibson???

We just purchased a 1992 Gibson Sport. I can't find a water hook up to connect to city water at the dock. All previous boats we have owned have one so I am perplexed. Is this possible? Is there a strange place I should be looking? Can one be added? If so, how?

were on our 2nd Gibson,neither had a city water hookup.easily put in though. I would recommend having the marina put it in if your not sure how, I do it in about an hour for under a 100 $.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 07-25-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

How?

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    were on our 2nd Gibson,neither had a city water hookup.easily put in though. I would recommend having the marina put it in if your not sure how, I do it in about an hour for under a 100 $.
    Thanks for the heads up! My marina doesn't have any mechanics or anything since it is very small (10 slips), but I could reach out to one of the larger marinas. Before I do, can you give me some insight as to how this is done? Does it utilize the water fill hole on the deck?

you have to get on e-bay and order a shurflo city water inlet regulator.you have to get a hole saw and drill a hole in the cabin or hull to mount it then you run a water line from it to the water line just past the discharge side of the pump.the pump has a check valve and won't let the water back flo to your tanks.you cut the line and tee the new line in. if your marina can't do it and your not comfortable with it,get a plumber.you surely don't want to have any leaks and sinking you.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    you surely don't want to have any leaks and sinking you.
    Sure don't! Thanks for the info.

If you're going to install a hookup, install a bilge alarm while you're at it. You only have to forget once.

It's MUCH safer to simply fill your tanks when needed and use from them. It will keep your tanks nice and fresh, too.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 07-26-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Once you have it, never leave it on, while away from the boat. A busted water pipe can sink a boat.

Never leave it turned on, never leave it connected either. More boats sink or suffer damage from shore side water connections than you want to think about it. I removed the shore side water connection from my boat.

Also, you need to install a check valve in the shore side water pipe and I would also install one after the existing pump - the ones in the pump can fail.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Gibson didn't install water connections on those boats. Too many expensive problems with them.

Can't speak for Gibson but the water systems on many boats aren't designed for shoreside water pressure. The inlet if installed SHOULD have a pressure regulator. You can also get regulators that connect to the hose. How reliable they are I don't know, and I'm not sure I want to find out.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 07-27-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I just posted about my neighbors boat almost sinking a few weeks ago. From leaving the water on. His other boat does not have a hook up either.

+ Reply to Thread