AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Houseboat hunting

Threaded View

Houseboat hunting

First off I'm not too familiar with houseboats or houseboat manufacturers. I'm posting for help trying to figure out if a houseboat is the right move for my family. We currently own a 90's 300 rinker. We would like to be able to invite more of the family and friends to join us on the water. Our first thought was to purchase a double cabin motor yaht.
    After my wife walked through a friend's houseboat she has changed my opinion for me she thinks we need a houseboat now, I'm all for it. My only concern is that when we get on the water we like to get where we are going quickly.
    My question is what brands should I be looking for. We would like to have something in the 45 to 55ft range and still be able to cruise in the 15 to 20 mph range. I'm open to any an all types just please help me narrow my search options and keep me from wasting a sellers time by looking at a boat that's not fitting my criteria.

OHB should be along to give specific advice. If you want those speeds, then you are looking at a Gibson or Harbor Master or something like that. There are plenty of them in that size range for well under $100,000.

Where are you planning to use this boat?
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

It will be on kentucky and Barkley lake.

Gibson's moto:

We build houseboats for boaters, not floaters.
    They can get up on a plane real nice, with the right power.
    Twin 454's

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    What you are describing is a "Cruising Houseboat"

Go to boat trader and Type in Gibson, Harbor Master, Montecello, Pluckebaum. These are in assending order of quality and price. Gibson And Harbor Master tend to be older and may range from ragged to Great. Montecello started building boats in 1997 and were well powered. Pluckebaum has no peers. Go for any year. We lived on a 55 for 7 years best years of our lives. The 3208 Cats cruised at 20 MPH and the sound is hushed and pure heaven
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

What the cruising speeds if the Bluewaters there is one in my marina for sale now at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Maagee1979 View Post
    What the cruising speeds if the Bluewaters there is one in my marina for sale now at a decent price.
    That depends on the power. Single or Twin Screw? What size?
    I like a Bluewater myself.

Go to Ky Dam marina, Green Turtle Bay or Kattawa Harbor, there are a bunch for sale.

Super Moderator
    A 44 or 50 ft Gibson will do 40 mph with 454s. The factory will be starting shortly, thet had a big water problem caused by the city and a massive clean up will be under way. Gibson is the fastest of the lot. I will see what I can find for you. been on Barkley and kentucky Lake many times. You want a new one we will build you a 3 engine sport 48 with 16 ft beam that run a little over 50 mph.

+ Reply to Thread