Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Out drive Boots on 89 Stardust

Out drive Boots on 89 Stardust

After formerly owning a 42 Gibson, I have upgraded to an Aluminum Hull 70' Stardust. It is equipped with Volvo Penta Outdrives with 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel Engines.

During the time I owned my Gibson, I spent most of the time worrying about the bottom paint and Outdrive boots leaking and the boat sinking. I sold the boat and took a loss of course, after the engine went south. The Current Owner repaired the engine and lives aboard four years later and has had no issues with anything I worried about.

Fast forward to my current boat. Here is a snap shot of the boat.
    1989 StarDust 18X70 with 200 hours. I'm the 3rd owner. The last owner has owned the boat for the past 10 years and has hardly ever taken it out of the slip. He has maintained the boat very well and changed oil every year in engines and generator even though he only ran them monthly and never really used them much at all. The survey was rated "Average Plus" and all issues the surveyor found was repaired by the owner before I bought it. There is no signs of water anywhere in the bilge and everything in engine bay looks near new.

Now I worry that the boots will bust and the boat will suddenly sink. I am told I'm worrying too much that I should have the boat hauled this fall or winter to service outdrives. The Marina shop is telling me to rebuild the outdrives completely and I don't think that sounds right considering there is no operational issues with them.

Am I worrying too much ? Opinions welcomed for this learner.

I don't know squat about the Volvo Penta outdrives. My Merc Bravo II's have two boots - exhaust and shifter cable. The exhaust boot can go and it won't flood the boat. The way the shifter cable boot is positioned, if it has a problem, then it will allow water into the boat, but it is not like a flood. Mercs also have a Y-pipe gasket (actually an O ring) that can fail and allow water into the boat - in this case it is a trickle (ask me how I know).

Your engine room should be totally isolated from the rest of the hull. There should be no way for water to flow from the engine room to the rest of the hull. Even if you lost boots on both engines, your boat should not sink.

If it bothers you, then you should have low and high water bilge pumps with the high water pump connected to a loud horn. If it really bothers you, then there are many monitoring options out there that are cell phone based that will allow you to know what is happening on your boat at all times.

Unless you are experiencing problems with the outdrives - noises, grinding, vibration, ... - I see no reason to rebuild them completely. Of course, once you pull the boat and drain the gear oil, you might learn something that would make that decision for you.

Just FYI, the last time I had the boat pulled and the outdrives serviced - including all wear items - it was $2,500.

Do you keep your boat hooked up to shore water at all times?

Ditto on the "high water" pump and the alarm.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Thank you for the response. I never thought of the Engine Area being completely isolated from the rest of the boat! LOL
    On another note, I miss the old thread "What did you do to your boat". Us? We are painting the interior and looking forward to taking it out next weekend.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Since your boat only has 200 hours Complete rebuild of the outdrives is not smart.

Unless of course they have had water intrusion. If the boots are original its time for a change.

OHB
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post

Do you keep your boat hooked up to shore water at all times?
    We use shore water while a the boat but turn it off when we leave

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    Since your boat only has 200 hours Complete rebuild of the outdrives is not smart.

Unless of course they have had water intrusion. If the boots are original its time for a change.

OHB
    OHB Thank you for taking the time to reply too. I love this forum and learn so much for everyone here. Im getting adjusted to owning a boat that appears to be one I'll actually get to enjoy without too many issues .

Quote Originally Posted by HBChattanooga View Post
    I would disconnect it at the boat side when you leave the dock. People have been known to mistakenly turn water on.

Quote Originally Posted by HBChattanooga View Post
    Disconnect the water hose altogether wen you leave. Additionally, shut off your fresh water pump, so if a pipe starts leaking, the contents of your fresh water tanks won't be pumped into the hull. Of course, this won't sink it, but that would surely make a big mess that'll need to be cleaned up.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Whether or not to have your outdrives serviced and the boots replaced depends entirely on when it was last done. The number of hours has little to do with it. Boots, gaskets and other seals deteriorate over time. The recommendation of engine manufacturers is every five years. Most people don't do that and wait until there is a problem. But if they haven't been replaced in ten years, I would have it done. That means taking the outdrives off, so you might as well have them completely serviced at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread