Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electric Marine Toilet

Electric Marine Toilet

My 1981 Harbormaster House boat has 2 electric toilets. I dont know if they are original as I bought it 4 years ago. The upstairs cabin toilet is a Raritan crown head. The downstairs is a Jabsco. I dont know why they are not the same but the Jabsco motor and macerator are less than half the size of f the Raritan and I believe the Jabsco to be newer. The water intake and waste output lines are the same size but since the Raritan is above the water line I dont know if it needs the lager motor to pulln water above the water line.

The Raritan motor and macerator are locked up. The motor I took to shop and it is shot. Raritan will exchange my old motor and macerator for about $700 including frieght and I can put the old bowl on it. I can by a new Jabsco including bowl for about $425. My concern is that the smaller motor on the Jabsco wont suck the water up above the waterline.

My local West Marine and the shop at the marina dont have a clue. Any help would be appreciated.

The standard Jabsco CAN lift the water but it's VERY NOISY! However they make a "Quiet flush" model that uses a remote pump and is MUCH quieter and more reliable. I'd look into that, or since you already have the bowl, a conversion kit. Go to the Jabsco website and look at the diagrams, then call them. They can help you decide what is best.

Videos and diagrams: http://jabscotech.com
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 08-27-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

we have jabsco heads on our Gibson and the one on the main floor sucks water over 3feet with no problem but as stmbtwle said their noisy. our friend has the quiet flush on a 55 kingscraft and its very quiet and not that much more on cost. I get all of mine and the parts from e-bay,much cheaper than a dealer.the jabsco's are also easy and somewhat cheap to rebuild.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Crown heads have been around forever. They work well, but are noisy - the noise comes more from the water pump than the macerator. I switched mine over to the Marine Elegance models - hooked to the house pressure water. They are as quiet as a household toilet. I bought the base model and spent less than the $700 exchange you are looking at.

I totally agree with easttnboater,fresh water is sooooo much better to flush with,i'm converting both our heads now. I have no problem drawing the water in but at some point the water is just plain dirty and after sitting a few days the first flush or 2 is pretty nasty.we use 2 quarts to flush with and hold 200 gls of water so it just makes sense to keep everything as clean as possible.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 08-29-2016 at 07:31 AM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Oh, so tempting to brag about how quiet my C-Head is. So tempting to talk about how it is so economical, legal-everywhere, no-pump-out-required, ever, no water used, no through-hull, no stink, and never ever needs repairs. But I won't. Because most people can't imagine even considering a 'composting' or dessicating head. Here: I'll say it for you: Ewwwwwww. Gross.
    But it isn't. Lots less a problem than a cat box. And if I had to decide how to spend most of a thousand bucks and many hours on repairs and replacements, I'd be tempted to yank out the whole mess, send my dollars to C-Head, or one of its pricier competitors, and disinfect and convert the holding tank area into a nice wine cellar. With the leftover money, I could stock it.
    Our town dock's pumpout is broken... again. The nearest working one that I know of is 25 miles away. My transient friends were distraught. I offered my sympathy for all the good that would do.

I have the impression that composting heads have come a long way in the past few years. When I first looked into them they were cumbersome and expensive, and I couldn't get any info other than the usual sales pitch (who trusts THAT?). Now, I'd definitely give them another look.

Thanks Amelia, for the running review.

As far a composting heads - they may be the best thing since sliced bread. But, if you are planing on selling your boat at some point in the future, I have two words for you - resale value.

Also, if the boat is already set up with a holding tank, there wouldn't be much savings, if any.

+ Reply to Thread