Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Be sure to do this tips

Be sure to do this tips

Putting in new frig w/ice-maker. Advice for the installation on this water line kit. That thin white plastic tubing looks a little suspect. Those with tips hope u can chime in. This is a gutted salon no cabinets in, getting the plumbing & ele. roughed in, for the new re do.

Not a big fan of new water lines in the boat.

You could use 1/4" soft copper with compression fittings instead.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by dalehollow View Post
    Not a big fan of new water lines in the boat.
    Not quite sure what you mean by this.

The up side to that tubing and the PEX tubing they are putting in new boats today is that it is very forgiving and probably won't split if you don't get winterized completely. Unlike copper or hard PVC.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

If the fridge is in the same cabinet run as your sink, pull the ice maker line through the cabinets. You'll be able to keep an eye on it that way. The other advantage is if you put in an R.O. or other water filter under your sink you can filter the water going to the ice maker as well.
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    If the fridge is in the same cabinet run as your sink, pull the ice maker line through the cabinets. You'll be able to keep an eye on it that way. The other advantage is if you put in an R.O. or other water filter under your sink you can filter the water going to the ice maker as well.
    frig is on another wall, but I'm still thinking about putting the water line shut off under the sink, rather than having to pull the frig out to get to the line shut off, or crawl down in the hatch,

I understand how for giving the pex line is just not a big fan of the thin wall plastic line the frig uses

That small od tubing is very strong. Installed hundreds of refrig. ice makers with it, never a problem. Cannot say the same about the old copper lines.

Quote Originally Posted by desimulacra View Post
    That small od tubing is very strong. Installed hundreds of refrig. ice makers with it, never a problem. Cannot say the same about the old copper lines.
    thats why I ask for tips thanks, 30 some yesrs later and the one at home/homes has been relieable, thin white plastic line.

I agree with desimulacra there is a long proven track record on the tubing. I also agree on the easy access shut off valve. I would NOT use that piercing coupler that comes with a line kit. I would use a inline fitting with a shut off valve.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

Yea Boatlover brought up a good point. I have had trouble with that pierce valve. Usually though it doesn't leak, just stops up.

this was timely advice as we are 50 miles from lowes, an headed there this morning ill return the self tapper on off an opt for the a true shut off an on.

+ Reply to Thread