houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Under layment issues on new floor.

Under layment issues on new floor.

We are installing a interlocking floating Bruce engineered wood floor.

Going with manufactures recommended material for under layment

When I google the situation, now my question is, would it help or hurt if lay black roofing paper on the sub floor first then the material manufacture recommends . Thinking I'm getting a more efficient vapor barrier from the bottom. Any thoughts thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dalehollow View Post
    We are installing a interlocking floating Bruce engineered wood floor.

Going with manufactures recommended material for under layment

When I google the situation, now my question is, would it help or hurt if lay black roofing paper on the sub floor first then the material manufacture recommends . Thinking I'm getting a more efficient vapor barrier from the bottom. Any thoughts thanks
    we put a laminate floor in our other gibson and had a professional installer put it in. he suggested no underlayment, its been in 3 years with no problems.were going to put natural wood floors in the (new to us) new one the same way. ours is in southern ohio and pulled out of the water every winter. hope this helps
    Last edited by 42gibson; 03-10-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I can not see any advantage to laying roofing paper first. Even in a damp basement decent underlay works fine. I would recommend that you go with the top of the line underlay though. It gives better grip when laying the boards and it gives a better sound to the finished floor, closer to real wood.

we decided to not use any felt paper, an stuck with the manufacture's choice, we came so close to the real hardwood but the thought of a nailed down floor, I just couldnt get comfortable w/it so went with the floating style. We are doing it ourselves, May get some help on the trim we all know thats where it counts

Good call on the felt paper. It was used for several reasons, none of which exist on your boat and/or with a floating floor. Once you lay the floor you'll probably feel more like doing the trim yourself...............or maybe calling someone............if you tackle it yourself and run into any issues feel free to PM me and I'll give you my contact info and I'd be happy to try and work thru it via phone or email. Interior trim and cabinetry is what I do.
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dalehollow View Post
    we decided to not use any felt paper, an stuck with the manufacture's choice, we came so close to the real hardwood but the thought of a nailed down floor, I just couldnt get comfortable w/it so went with the floating style. We are doing it ourselves, May get some help on the trim we all know thats where it counts
    there are now hardwood floors that are interlocking,no nails. thats what we're going to use on our executive(when it warms up). right now we're in venice florida enjoying the sun and walking the docks at sarasota and drinking tropical drinks at waterfront bars on the icw......what a life down here. but sadly leaving late this afternoon for home.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Good call on the felt paper. It was used for several reasons, none of which exist on your boat and/or with a floating floor. Once you lay the floor you'll probably feel more like doing the trim yourself...............or maybe calling someone............if you tackle it yourself and run into any issues feel free to PM me and I'll give you my contact info and I'd be happy to try and work thru it via phone or email. Interior trim and cabinetry is what I do.
    Thanks Dan, that is a nice offer, your one of the reason this site keeps my interest

+ Reply to Thread