Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macerator Question

Threaded View

Macerator Question

My forward macerator for the head is not working properly.
    When I flip the switch, sometimes I have to wait about 10 – 20 seconds for it to start up. The motor turns very slow for a while then it will kick up to speed – most of the time. Some times I have to ‘jump start’ it using a cordless screwdriver. I changed the impeller which actually looked like new and did not see anything blocking it like hair or string. It is doing the same thing with the new impeller kit.
    It is a 12V Jabsco. I did not check the voltage under load yet. Is there some kind of grease or lubrication area that I overlooked?
    Could the motor just be worn out?
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

mine was doing that in the main head. it was the magnet inside the motor came loose. i had to replace the motor (117$). is yours turning hard with a screwdriver?
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I've had the seal go bad and wastewater get into the motor bearings. Mounting it vertically above the tank AND the waterline with the motor above the pump seemed to correct the problem.

Finally removed it completely, it was illegal anyway.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

tony, are you talking about the macerator in the head? or a seperate one
    for overboard discharge?
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

If you disassemble the motor and clean it out NOW you may be able to save it.

I had a seal go in the toilet pump a couple years ago. The void between the pump and the motor filled up with wastewater which then got into the motor and ruined it. When I replaced the motor I drilled a fair-sized hole in the bottom of the void space, so next time a seal leaks it will leak onto the deck where I can see it, and deal with the cause.

I've noticed that while all the older pumps I can remember had a drain hole, the newer ones I've seen don't. Maybe they WANT them to fail???

Replacing the seal every couple years is probably the best preventative maintenance. A whole lot cheaper than a new motor.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

+ Reply to Thread