Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: damaged skag

damaged skag

I bought a runabout over the winter that had a damaged skag. 1/2 of it was taken off my something the previous owner hit. After a through inspection, I was told the outdrive was in perfect working order, but the skag would probably be good to fix eventually at about $200.

The boat has the volvo bravo I outdrive for the 190 hp 4.3 L V6. Is $200 a fair quote for that?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Depending on how they're fixing it, $200 is an amazing bargain. There are three ways to fix a broken skeg. First is to replace the lower housing. There's no way that would happen for $200. Second way is to weld on more metal similar to repairing a prop. The welding is cheap enough, but you have to take out the lower unit seals the keep from melting them. The second method is cheaper than the first, but $200 is still a bargain for this method. Third, and cheapest, method is to buy a skeg repair kit. It is a hollow skeg that you use epoxy or JB-Weld to glue on to what's left of your old skeg. It sounds cheesy, but it's actually a pretty good fix. It would be $200 or under.

I'd go for #3. I've seen it done many times (our lake has lots of shallow areas) and it doesn't look bad at all. The other thing is if you hit it again you'd be a whole lot less unhappy.
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

How "damaged" is it? Might be simpler (not to mention cheaper) to just cut/grind the damaged part down and leave the rest. MIGHT affect your steering though.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Grind it up to make it pretty or go with #3. The skeg protects the prop in minor hits. in major hits it doesn't matter. If done right the glue ons also take a decent hit.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Option three - www.skeggard.com. Also, it can't be a Bravo I outdrive and be made by Volvo. Alpha, Bravo I, Bravo II, Bravo III are all Mercruiser.

Thanks for the clarification there eastTN. I was told this would be repaired by welding, which would be option #2 as described above. I had 2 different shops quote me approximately the same amount.

Any other preventative maintenance I should have done while they have the rear torn apart to fix the skeg?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I would re-seal it, change the gear lube, and change the pump impeller. If you wanted to do a skeg repair kit, it looks like the modern way is to bolt rather than glue them. That seems like an improvement to me.

I had to have one of the skegs on my houseboat welded. It was broken off about a half an inch below the gearcase - so a skeggard was not an option. It cost me about $500 including pulling the drive, tearing it down, welding, put it back together, and reinstall.

So, $200 sounds pretty good.

I had one welded back once. I don't remember the initial cost, but i never could get the seals right. Turns out that the lick that broke the skeg also bent the prop shaft. You might wanna check...
    LongJohn
    Watts Bar Lake; Tn River

+ Reply to Thread