Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rivers, Creeks and Canals of Central FL

Rivers, Creeks and Canals of Central FL

Hello all,
    I would like to ask if anyone has taken any routes north from Lake Okeechobee and how far one can go before running into a dam or LLW. Not sure about beam clearance either.
    Anybody doing this now?
    Thanks, Rob

On which coast????
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

If you were going up the Kissimmee River, from Lake Okeechobee, you will have 3 locks and dams. After the third locks they have reconstructed the river and the channel gets narrower. You can get to Lake Kissimmee but, it will be a challenge. Check the website for the South Florida Water Management for more info.

Excellent, FLK. I was looking for that info last week and found some stuff, but not this agency. I'll check it out.
    The area around Lakes Griffin, Harris and Eustis looks like plenty of fun, too.
    There are several marinas, parks and they all interconnect.
    Looks like you can get to Lake Apopka from there as well.
    I was hoping there might be a way to go all the way to/from Okeechobee as well.

Does any one know what the current status is of Pahokee City Marina?
    I heard that there was some H. Hoover dike work done along the shore there which left the previous operators
    near broke and was supposed to be taken over by a new contractor once work was completed.
    Any news? Is it a short term or live-aboard type marina? Rates? Amenities?

This is all I could find. The way the website acts they are open. http://lakeokeechobeeresort.com/rates.php

Thanks JT,
    I found this interesting on the site you linked to:

Can I bring a house boat into the marina all year round?

Yes, but we have to write two contracts for 182 days and the house boat has to be vacated for one full day between each contract.

So, I think this warrants some investigation as I get closer to retiring (Jan ) and moving down south. I'll try to give them a call today. Fees look reasonable, but I need clarification on the 25 foot boat length specified in the rate schedule. I'd like to hear from someone that has first hand knowledge of the place and area, for sure.

I am looking to buy a trailerable hb- Stuery, SeaCamp or like and plan to do some or all of the restoration as most are going on 35+years of age. I can tow it down and either launch it and/or live on it while I do the refit. This place looks promising for either.

Like I said, that's the plan....

+ Reply to Thread