Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slides

Slides

Some friends just purchased their first houseboat (2003 Lakeview) and are looking for a slide. I know where to get the slide itself, but does anyone know who makes the brackets now that Houseboat Aluminum Products is gone? Or who will provide and install the whole package?
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

try pluckebaum. they advertise they can and will manufacture anything aluminum. if not,try fiberglass concepts.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I helped a friend put a slide on his boat. He searched for brackets to no avail so we ended up making a template to have brackets fabricated. For the bottom bracket, we took wood 2x2s to the lake. We cut the 2 x 2 lumber to length and used grabber screws to fashion them into an upside-down "U." The middle part of the bracket bolted to the slide and the two legs bolted to the rear of the houseboat lower deck. The legs intersected the lower deck at a bit of an angle. We cut a piece of cardboard to match that angle so the fabricator would know how we wanted the lower brackets angled.

For the top mount, we used a piece of cardboard to make something that ended up looking like an upside-down shoe box that held the top of the slide up about a foot off the roof of the upper deck.

We took the templates to a local sheet metal shop. They used 2" square aluminum tube to make a bottom bracket that looked like our wood bracket. They used .125" aluminum in place of the cardboard for the upper "shoe box." The shoe box had flanges that bent out to allow us to screw it to the roof with silicone to seal it. A good sheet metal shop can build about anything if you give them a good template. The fabrication bill was around $200 as I remember. I know your installation will likely be different from what I did, but these methods should adapt pretty well to about any mounting situation.

Our slide has a folding scissor-bracket, very simple and works great. Wish I had better pics (I can get some this weekend!) --

Slide folded down, so you have full use of the diving deck for parkin' boat's & such...

Slide open for play--

It's a no-brainer bracket too, just pull the slide open and the bracket 'drops', locking into place. To put away just push up the middle of the bracket, and hold the slide as it falls into it's closed postion. There's no locks, ties or anything, just sit's there.

Years ago I referred an online acquaintance to SkipperLiner for a slide, and they helped him out. That was before they closed their doors and re-opened, but they still might help out?
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Now, that is the first practical slide installation that I have seen.

Thanks for the input everyone! Hopefully he found something helpful..............and hopefully will join the forum!
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

Finally got some more pics of our slide hardware, in case anyone's interested--

The top mount pivot--

The bottom slide-mounted pivot-

bottom boat-mounted pivot-

slide full open--

--the bracket as it's folding down--

1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Nice pics!! I may look at doing that. Tanks

+ Reply to Thread