Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Toilet impeller replacement

Most likely "other product".

I actually have the Raritan Atlantes A5 Freedom toilets, not the crowns. Since the water is getting warmer, I may be able to swim under the boat this weekend if we take it out and inspect the hoses. Last year, I noticed a lot of black crud growing on the hoses. I'm guessing that's the permiation coming through and growing mold. Also, my boat simply stinks sitting at the dock and my neighbors have comented about it several times. I can tell it's an annoyance to them. I'm just hoping I can get the proper slope for the PVC to drain properly under the boat. The holding tank is forward from the toilets in order to balance the boat. The boat doesn't seem to be weighted down in the back too much, but I can tell the rear sits slightly lower - that's where all the weight is.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

The Atlantes supposed to be able to process the "other" product. But, if it is vibrating a lot, then something is in there.

How are your holding tanks vented? If your boat smells just sitting there, then it might be your vent. The hoses would have to be in terrible shape to be smelt from the dock.

There is a vent. When under the boat, I couldn't tell if it was hooked up properly b/c the view is obstructed. I was told to blow water down the vent tube to clear any obstructions, which I'll try this weekend. I'm going to study this thing in much greater detail when I can get in the water this spring.
    Last edited by GoVols; 05-15-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Bet On Another Thousand

Most factory installations have a charcoal filter in the vent line. Age or water will ruin the filter. They are a maintenance type item that need to be replaced periodically. If there is no vent filter, then you have to have a lot of ventilation in order for the holding tank not to smell - think 1 1/2 cross flow vent lines.

This is the vent filter that I have - http://www.bigorangefilter.com/

I hope this doesn't turn in to a thread hijack, but I'm wondering why macerator toilets are common on houseboats. I can see a macerator in a different time or place like an ocean-going yacht that grinds and discharges raw sewage on the high seas. But houseboats don't spend much time on the high seas.

My boat has an RV-style toilet that drops through a 3" pipe that I'm guessing is PVC or ABS about 6 inches long directly into my black water tank. I have a second toilet connected to the same tank with about three feet of 3" hard pipe. I have not experienced a plug and I use toilet paper from Costco rather than the marina. Other than replacing a $35 flush valve, the only time I have touched the toilet is with my foot to flush it and with, um, other parts of my body to use it. I used to have smell problems, but those went away when I extended my 1.5" vent stack about 8 feet above my roof.

I can see advantages to a straight-drop RV toilet, but there must good reasons for using macerators since most houseboats have them. Can anyone educate me as to what those good reasons are?

I have wondered this myself.

My friend's 1998 model 80' Sumerset was remodeled by the previous owner who yanked out the marine toilets and installed house style toilets instead. He's owned the boat nearly a year now and has had no problems whatsoever with the entire system.

Bet On Another Thousand

I think it is just how houseboats evolved. The first ones did not have the front to back "basement" space below the floor. Many of the floors of the bathrooms were actually below the waterline. So, you had to have a macerator type toilet to grind and then pump the waste uphill and into the tank.

I can think of a couple of reasons for using a macerator... It chops the waste into pieces small enough that will flow through a relatively small hose (1" in my case) some distance to the holding tank or even uphill. It also makes the waste easier to pump OUT.

However as most modern houseboats now have the head above the waterline and the tank, I think the much simpler Sealand type toilet might be a better option provided it's plumbed correctly.

Household toilets have been developed over many years and work too, but they use much more water than any marine toilet I know of, which means you'll fill up the holding tank that much quicker.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

How do I find a what model head I have so I can order parts? It just says "Raritan". I've looked on all sides. The FloJet motor/impeller has a nice clear nameplate on it. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the check valve, but I need a part number. The boat is 13 years old.

+ Reply to Thread