Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to add Ballast to Steel Pontoons

Assuming you have descent size access into the tops? I've seen the big tin boat builders use the thick patio blocks and 5 gallon buckets filled with sand.
    1986 Gibson 50'
    Twin 454 Crusaders
    Monroe Reservoir, Bloomington, IN

Acces to the toons is only thru the 1.5" cap on the top. I'm liking the idea of pea gravel or 1/4" crushed rock. Only concern is if I could get it out and the slosh around sand paper effect.

I think I'd go with sand instead of gravel. It'll pack better and should be easier to get out. Ships have been known to use drilling mud.

The easiest and cheapest would be water. Not sure what it would be but you should be able to put some anti-corrosive in with it to prevent rust.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 05-14-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

"Big tin" - I like that. I had to put 1,200 lbs of cap block on one side of my boat to even it out. That was a work out.

Personally I wouldn't want to utilize anything that is permeable or potentially caustic or corrosive and potentially detrimental to the steel pontoons as a ballast. If it would not be so costly something such as marbles could be a potential solution. Lead shot would also work, but has anyone priced the cost of shot lately? It would also be a real hard hit the pocket book.

If you had good access to potentially free glass jars, beer bottles, etc. You could pretty easily crush them down to size and then pour the pieces into the pontoons for ballast. But anyway I'm thinking you need something something densely heavy and non-permeable for the best long term solution for you needs.

Why does it need to be in the 'toons? If I were balasting my boat, I'd probably just build a shelf that could bolt to the underside of the floor and put a bunch of work out weights on it. Food for thought.....
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Water and soluble oil with a bacteria control program.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 05-16-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Instead of water use rust inhibitor! j/k good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SinOrSwim View Post
    Instead of water use rust inhibitor! j/k good luck
    I may have found a product that prevents rust when added to water, and it also seems safe enough for environmental practicality though not designed specifically for this utilization.

Corrosion Inhibitor, Water Treatment 101 Solution

∑ A proprietary outdoor wood boiler specific product - the consumerís solution
    ∑ Developed by professionals in the field of industrial water treatment
    ∑ Will work in all makes and models of outdoor wood boilers, "open" or "closed" systems
    ∑ Full spectrum of corrosion inhibitors for both ferrous (iron) and yellow metal (copper and brass) system components for complete corrosion protection for your boiler and heat exchanger alike
    ∑ An additional ferrous corrosion inhibitor is added that actually enables better film formation on the metal surface providing and forming a protective barrier
    ∑ Calcium scale retarding polymers are added to help keep your heat transfer surfaces clean and efficient
    ∑ Formulation has the ability to fight under deposit corrosion
    ∑ Biodegradable and safe to use
    ∑ Completely buffered and stabilized product
    ∑ Safe for pumps, seals, Pex...your whole system
    ∑ Easily test for chemical level with Wood Boiler Solutions LLC approved and inexpensive testing method
    ∑ You wonít find a more concentrated product with these capabilities -1 quart will treat a full 200 GALLONS of boiler fill water
    ∑ Quart size makes shipping far less expensive
    ∑ Compatible with glycol (antifreeze)
    ∑ As simple to use as simple gets with the BEST in protection

Dosage: 1 quart per 200 gallons of system fill water

Directions for use: Add Treatment Solution 101 directly to system following the recommended dosage rate. Test and maintain at all times a level of 750-1000 ppm of chemical residual using a Wood Boiler Solutions approved testing method. Add additional chemical as necessary in order to maintain this level. Not intended for systems containing aluminum or aluminum alloy components unless specifically advised by Wood Boiler Solutions, LLC

Bamby, that looks like it would be a good product to try. Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread