Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring Harness

Threaded View

Wiring Harness

I am looking into gettng both my engines rebuilt this coming off season. Yeah, I know the boat isn't even in the water for this season yet.

I haven't done much troubleshooting on this issue yet, however it seems like my Tach is either going bad or there is a short in the wire somewhere. I have noticed after a rain my starboard tach doesn't read correctly. After a few days without rain, it goes back to normal.

So, in my process of having the engines rebuilt, I am looking at other items I can cleanup while doing the work. I would like to replace all my gauges as well as all the wiring for these gauges. So now to the questions.

1. Does anyone have an electrical schematic for a Chrysler 318?
    2. Is there anywhere that I would be able to purchase a wiring harness for a 318?
    3. Would it be worth my while to try and build my own harness?
    - I had a thought of having a bus bar, for lack of a better term, terminating the connections on the engine. From there I would have wire to another bus bar at my helm. I would then tie the gauges in at that location. Does this work? It would technically be cleaner with a harness, but I think it would give me a bit more flexibility.

Give your thoughts and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    I am looking into gettng both my engines rebuilt this coming off season. Yeah, I know the boat isn't even in the water for this season yet.

I haven't done much troubleshooting on this issue yet, however it seems like my Tach is either going bad or there is a short in the wire somewhere. I have noticed after a rain my starboard tach doesn't read correctly. After a few days without rain, it goes back to normal.

So, in my process of having the engines rebuilt, I am looking at other items I can cleanup while doing the work. I would like to replace all my gauges as well as all the wiring for these gauges. So now to the questions.

1. Does anyone have an electrical schematic for a Chrysler 318?
    2. Is there anywhere that I would be able to purchase a wiring harness for a 318?
    3. Would it be worth my while to try and build my own harness?
    - I had a thought of having a bus bar, for lack of a better term, terminating the connections on the engine. From there I would have wire to another bus bar at my helm. I would then tie the gauges in at that location. Does this work? It would technically be cleaner with a harness, but I think it would give me a bit more flexibility.

Give your thoughts and opinions.
    Try this thread on MarineEngine.com. http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...ler-marine-318
    also Google Chrysler 318 Marine Engine Manual, and buy a manual. The parts ar readily available for many online parts house. Try iboats.com or Go2Marine.com

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    If the tach is original their subject to moisture problems. The bridge tachs usually go south first. From reading your threads you seem to jump in the deep end before analysing the problem. First thing to do is swap tachs with the other side and see if the problems move. Next thing to do if it stays the same is unplug the harness connectors and spray them with contact cleaner and work them a few times.

You said you wanted to reman the engines. 318's are good for 2500 hours in fresh water. Are you having problems that a good tuneup wont cure. Usually carb and distributor rebuilds and manifolds take care of most problems. (advance mechanisms freeze up and springs rust out) If it aint broke don't fix it.

I have a wiring diagram at home. we will be back in September and I will look it up.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

OHB,

This thread was started back in May when I thought I had the larger engine troubles. I try to post to see what everyone's thoughts are. The reason I am looking to rewire for the gauges is that the wiring job on this boat is just a mess. My flybridge gauges don't work. The guy that attempted to rewire some of the gauges wouldn't run 1 length of wire. One gauge has 3 different pieces of wire spliced together to get from the engine to the gauge. The rest of the 12 volt wiring is this same way. Just trying to gather as many answers going to to work on it.

JT
    Long time since I thought about this thread. I am running single cable/multi-conductor marine signal wire from the engine to the helm. If you have drawn wiring diagrams I would love to see it.
    Hope the family is doing well.

KC55
    1974 Kingscraft 55x15
    1987 Ebbtide 190 Catalina Open Bow w/Mercruiser V8

http://www.kingscrafthouseboats.com

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    KC55

Make sure you have heavy enough gauge wire. You have very long runs.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread