Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So about that water in the oil....

So about that water in the oil....

I said to myself this year that I was going to pull my boat in warmer weather so I could do a lot of work. I didn't think that it was going to be the same day I launched it this year.

We put the boat in and I was letting her heat up before taking her out. After warming it up it was completely milky and really full. I am betting on a cracked block. I have decided to bite the bullet and replace both long blocks. Both transmissions are in need of some service as well, so they will be removed and repaired when I do the engines.

So my first question would be:

Do any of you recommend a particular seller of Chrysler 318 Long Blocks? I have found a few that I like their prices, however I am not sure on reputation.

Also, since this boat is a twin engine, is one engine a reverse rotation engine?

I have found a guy, who is pretty local, that has two newly rebuilt Chrysler 318s for sale. They are complete engines and are about the same money as two new long blocks. Granted I would just bolt on all my stuff to the new long blocks. So the next question is, do I go with the new long blocks or the complete engines? The long blocks do come with a warranty and these would not.

I would first check the specs of the engines. - especially compression ratio and the cam specs - to make sure they are equal or close to the original motor specs.

If they are both equal, then I would go with the long blocks and the warranty. With all you have gone through with this boat, it just seems the prudent thing to do.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Chrysler blocks usually DON'T crack. did you pull the heads. How many hours on them. They usually don't even show any bore wear under 1500 hours. Truly they last forever in fresh water.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Could maybe be head gasket,

OHB,

I have no clue on the hours. I have not pulled the heads. I am at a crossroads with the engines. What would you suggest? I want to the engines fixed and trustworthy. I have no confidence in either. Do you think it might be a head gasket? Both transmissions need work and the only way to get them out is to pull the engines.

First, I would find out where the water is coming from. Remove all of the spark plugs from the wet engine. Have someone crank the engine while you a watching for water being blown out of the spark plug holes. When you find water on one side, Then pull the water cooled manifold and have it pressure checked. If it checks out good then pull the head and have it pressure checked. If you decide to install new engines HAVE all of the manifolds pressure checked before installing them, Good luck.

When I go to take out the transmissions, this is a part that I know nothing about. Removing the shaft log and stuffing box. Here is a picture of one:

The starboard one drips a decent amount as I bet the packing hasn't been changed in some time. I am not sure about the port. Besides the packing, is there anything else I should be concerned about with these and look to replace them? I am not really sure what I should be looking for.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    1. If the engines were running decent last year I SURELY would NOT rush into the expense of replacement.
    318's are almost bullit proof. If you keep the manifolds up and the distributor advance/springs in free and unbroken condition, you can't wear them out.

2. Follow FLK's advice before even thinking about replacement. I can have heads off a 318 in an hour and a half. You have a large enough engine compartment to work on them with no problem.

3. If the source of the leak is found and the bores are good make necessary repairs and run the boat.

What is wrong with transmissions? I assume you have Paragons with Vee Drives. Other than U joints after 1200 hours these things hold up pretty good.

Are you sure you don't have enough clearance to pull the tranny without pulling the engine?

3 of our 7 houseboats had 318's. The only one that failed was from a freeze in Alabama in 1987. Busted WIDE open.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread