Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Gibson Deck

Painting Gibson Deck

My 85 Gibson has the original paint outside. I am wanting to paint the decks and would like to keep it looking as original as possible. Does anyone know how to do the speckled paint look on a Gibson deck? Also, all decking is solid and has no soft spots and doesnt appear to leak. However, it pops and cracks when you walk on the front after being away for the week. It isnt as bad after you walk on it a bit. What causes this and how can i quiet it? Or, can I?

when I was at gibsons factory before they closed bill surface told me they just cut the air pressure on the gun they use to apply the gelcoat with to get the bumps in it your talking about.my old Gibson had the original gelcoat and had the same creeking and snapping sound but it stopped when it got hot out. the one we just bought last summer we had the decks redone.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Interesting the guy who did the painting at Gibson was named "Surface". I know a guy in our marina who used the garage floor speckle stuff. It worked well. He only had his boat here a couple years so am not sure how it held up but it looked really good after he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by SinOrSwim View Post
    Interesting the guy who did the painting at Gibson was named "Surface". I know a guy in our marina who used the garage floor speckle stuff. It worked well. He only had his boat here a couple years so am not sure how it held up but it looked really good after he did it.
    no no,bill surface was the parts manager.everyone was gone then but him and he was just explaining how they did it.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

+ Reply to Thread