Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMC controls have a lag

Threaded View

MMC controls have a lag

Okay, I have MMC controls. They are not synced. Meaning, when I run both motors at say 3000 rpm, the starboard control is pushed about an inch or so farther than the port. This has never been a problem. However, my starboard control now has a lag in it. So, when I'm docking and I put the starboard motor in forward and try to ease into the throttle, it doesn't do anything....then all of a sudden it does but it is like gunning it. Makes it very difficult to control in tight situations.

The marina guy thinks it could be a setting and says he can test it. (granted he would have to actually come down and test it. I have had my patience tested with the repair service lately)

Anyway, has anybody else dealt with this? Do you think it's the computer settings or do you think it's the contacts inside the actual control at the helm?

I really need to get this corrected. Our marina is very windy and our slips aren't much wider than our boats. Cranks up the stress when docking, that is for sure.

They are very programmable. You can download the manual for them. You can set a ton of stuff. Depending on the model, it is either DIP switches or running through a menu.

That being said, if this is a new symptom that just cropped up, it is probably mechanical as opposed to settings. If I were you, I would start by swapping the connections at the helm to see if the problem moved. If it does, then it is in the controls at the helm. If not, then it is at the unit at the engine. Do not be shy about getting into the main unit. Like most things, it is a combination of things electrical and mechanical. I had a unit last year quit working. It turns out that the electrical step motor had exceeded its limits. I reset it by hand and greased everything - no problems since.

I had a guy a long time ago tell me that they make replacement parts everyday - don't be afraid to try it yourself.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Something sticking mechanically. check linkage for free movement.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

when you remove the cover at the engine b4 u touch it make sure u are grounded,

Still haven't gotten out there with enough time to start tinkering. We live very close to the marina but have not had a chance to get out there without kids. Tinkering with a project like this probably needs to be done without an 8,4 and 2 year old around.

I found. Out a long time ago that when you have something stressful on the boat to do.
    1. Go alone
    2. Go early while its cool
    3. Have sense enough to walk away when you get frustrated before you really break it.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Find real time help

Of course I dont know your level of knowledge on this subject. Most docks have at least one good go to person. Perhaps they can't help you on the spot...... but normally will stir you to the right shop/person.

By now IM sure you have been warned, and heard the stories about this mystery box don't tinker .....Memorary serves me correctly the manufacture is in Wash. St, that black box is well over 1300.00. down time an labor facotrs yet to be added....my info is well dated......

never know maybe a timing issue, lose wire, good luck (lubricant graphite only)

That black box is a controller board and some electric step motors. If is is not working anyway, then I see no issue with opening it up. As I said earlier, I have opened them up and adjusted one the mechanics inside it when one of the step motors went "out of bounds".

Update on this issue. Still need some minor adjustments but the computer box is fine. When throttle up the screw inside that turns to move the throttle cable turns perfectly fine. What happened was the connection to that screw had loosened up and backed itself out so to speak. Thus, there was too much play before the cable would actually move at the carburetor. Adjusted it a little and it's better. Still need to adjust a little more but the good news is it was mechanical and not the computer box. thanks!

There you go - just proves that we should not be afraid to open something up and have a look.

+ Reply to Thread