Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Engine hours

Diesel Engine hours

My friend is looking at an old Kings Craft with diesels. What is usually an acceptable amount of hours on a diesel before you even start thinking of a rebuild? One of them already needs rebuilt in the boat he has found but the other doesn't look so hot itself.

I had a work boat with 2- 342 Cats and we swap them out at 42000 hrs. One had developed a head gasket leak. In a house boat you should never wear one out if "you take care of it".

Quote Originally Posted by Fork-lift-king View Post
    I had a work boat with 2- 342 Cats and we swap them out at 42000 hrs. One had developed a head gasket leak. In a house boat you should never wear one out if "you take care of it".

Wow, that is some serious time. I have been telling him to be very careful with this boat. He is head over heels that it has diesels, but one of them not running doesn't sound like it was well taken care of. Also, the rest of the boat looks like a nightmare!

"not running" could be anything, from a clogged fuel filter on up. Tell him to find out.

Rebuilt diesels while not cheap won't break the bank. Been there.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Is this the 55' Kingscraft at Riverside Marina in Dayton, KY? That boat has been sitting for years. When we had our boat there about 4 years ago it looked like it was kind of low in the water. I opened one of the engine hatches and there was at least a foot of water in it. The head was off of the starboard engine.

I guess she is salvageable if the price is right.

Ed

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    KingsCraft 55s usually had Perkins which should last forever in a houseboat. If they were neglected and need rebuild they are one of the least expensive to work on. Note: I said least expensive WHEN COMPAIRED TO OTHER DIESELS.

To answer your question: typically a mininum of 5000 hours.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 06-11-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Is this the 55' Kingscraft at Riverside Marina in Dayton, KY? That boat has been sitting for years. When we had our boat there about 4 years ago it looked like it was kind of low in the water. I opened one of the engine hatches and there was at least a foot of water in it. The head was off of the starboard engine.

I guess she is salvageable if the price is right.

Ed
    Bingo! That thing is a complete mess on the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    KingsCraft 55s usually had Perkins which should last forever in a houseboat. If they were neglected and need rebuild they are one of the least expensive to work on. Note: I said least expensive WHEN COMPAIRED TO OTHER DIESELS.

To answer your question: typically a mininum of 5000 hours.
    As usual OHB, thanks for the assist. This will also assist me in about 5 years when I am looking for my Pluckebaum.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    As usual OHB, thanks for the assist. This will also assist me in about 5 years when I am looking for my Pluckebaum.
    c'mon Jamie,with all your money buy that plucky now.i'll even bring it up river for you
    .....lol
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by 42gibson View Post
    c'mon Jamie,with all your money buy that plucky now.i'll even bring it up river for you
    .....lol
    Now that you mention it, I should just by two. You can have the other and we will race them up river from KY.

+ Reply to Thread