Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum Struts

Aluminum Struts

So I am going to replace my struts after this season. The one is really eaten away from the corrosion and the other isn't in that bad of shape but it still has the original bearings. I have talked with Marinette about making a new struts however they would need a template and I would need to ship mine down so they could get the specs to make the new ones. Should I go that route or just look to a machine shop?

I also have a question about when I reinstall them. Should I put a sealant, 5200, on the base of the strut before bolting it down? Does that have the strut isolated from my hull?

Have you got any pictures?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You do not want to isolate the strut from your hull. Marinett is th place to get it done right. MAKE SURE YOU USE FIBER CASED CUTLASS BEARINGS. Kings Craft used bronze cased and the lower part of the struts were eaten away. How bad are they. i had a pair built up with weld and avoided the alignment problem. DO NOT use 5200 for bedding the struts. This is nasty stuff if you ever want to take anything apart.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Shocking enough I don't have pictures of it.

Marinette has been really helpful. How do you adjust the alignment when they are replaced? Is that done with adjustments at my vdrive as well?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Yes, if required.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread