Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Time out with new to me boat. :-/

First Time out with new to me boat. :-/

Took the boat out yesterday for the first time since buying it. It ran great for about 30 minutes then the starboard engine ran hot. Came back to dock and thruster wouldn't work. Wind, no thruster and one engine for a 70 foot houseboat! Surprisingly stayed calm and had great help from neighbors.

This boat has a "Sideshift" brand electric aft thruster and had thrown all three breakers. Not sure yet what caused the engine to run hot but I'm wondering if it is impeller related or if this engine even has an impeller or a water pump like an automotive engine. Volvo Penta AMD40 Diesel.

We also had an electrical issue that turned out to be loose connections in the dock cord.

Neverthless, we are having a great time entertaining family and friends.

welcome to every day boating.some days are very good and then some are....... you will enjoy it though.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

It has a water pump for cooling, and an impeller in the lower unit of the drive. Both need to be replaced periodically.

Anyway, that is why it's called a "shakedown cruise".

You'll get it fixed and things will smooth out.

What outdrives do you have?

First lesson in Boating. B.O.A.T.=bring on another thousand

If your boat was a dock queen with the previous owner, you should go ahead and change out all your impellers on your propulsion motors as well as your generator. Over time, the rubber impellers harden and become brittle. When a new owner starts using the boat like it should be, you start seeing failures like this. Another thing, many people don't realize their generator needs to be running for the thrusters to work. Not sure about your system, but check it out anyway.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    If your boat was a dock queen with the previous owner, you should go ahead and change out all your impellers on your propulsion motors as well as your generator. Over time, the rubber impellers harden and become brittle. When a new owner starts using the boat like it should be, you start seeing failures like this. Another thing, many people don't realize their generator needs to be running for the thrusters to work. Not sure about your system, but check it out anyway.

The new parts are in and will be installed next week. We replaced the impeller in generator at first and I never thought of the engines . As for thrusters, this is a "SideShift" brand electric one. It works good but after a few minutes of use, it blows the breaker. I've talked to them about it and they are coming up with a fix. I priced new bow and stern thrusters with Thrusterman and it was in the neighborhood of 16K which is something I will live without. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    What outdrives do you have?
    Volvo Penta. I'm scheduled to get them serviced in a few weeks. They are going to do the boots and gimbal bearing?? The manager said that everything else should be good since it has low hours and I have seen no signs on water in the foot oil when I checked it

Why the gimbal bearing? Maybe they are easy on the Volvo Pentas - it is fairly major surgery for a Mercruiser.

I have electric bow thrusters. They will overheat if you use them for several minutes continuously. They are designed to be used in short spurts - minute or so - and then let them cool off for a minute or so. If you run them for five minutes continuously, the thermal breaker will trip.

What is the brand of boat?

+ Reply to Thread