Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie.

Newbie.

Hi there.thanks for the website .Me and my wife are looking at buying a 1974 42ft Houseboat.It has two 318 motors in it. Is there a checklist of what to look for on this hb.we are going to look at it sunday. I have read a lot of the posts on here. LOTS of good reading.thanks for your input.

You can start here: http://www.houseboatmagazine.com/for...D-THIS-WARNING

Boats that old can be full of expensive surprises, and you can spend MANY TIMES your cost in repairs/rebuilding. Been there done that! It can be a nightmare or a work of love but it WILL be expensive and you will NEVER get your money out. GET A SURVEY!

When I bought mine I called it a "chainsaw special" meaning I had to cut it down to the bare hull and replace everything (including both engines, the deck, and the entire superstructure). Unless you have the time, the skills, the money, the patience, and a cheap place to work on it, DON'T. even If you do, you'll probably save money by spending MORE on a newer boat.

I don't care if it runs great (it probably doesn't) and looks cherry (it isn't) GET A SURVEY!!!

"A little TLC" can quickly turn into a MAJOR REBUILD $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GET A SURVEY!

GET A SURVEY!

GET A SURVEY!
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Those 318's are great engines.
    Everything else may fall apart, and those things still run.

As always when buying.

1. Sea trial
    2. Mechanic Check
    3. Out of water survey.

What make is the vessel?

So me and the wife went too look at the boat .We were surprised to see it was all covered up. But still we were able to walk around it .The hb is in GREAT shape after talking to the owner it was sitting for a year he was hurt and will never boat again�� it was sad but like he said he wants the boat to go too somebody that will love the boat as much as he did.the motors are winterized (MN).So I am buying the boat without starting them up.Maby I am soft hearted and taking his word .The hb is sitting in the slip with bubblers and the rent is paid till April. So now my question is should I fire up the motors. Like I said there winterized.I know it's no big deal to redo the motors Thanks again

as everyone has stated, I would never buy anything with out a out of water survey and sea trial, I don't care how sad their story is. we were burnt once by the same thing but never again!
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I have some ocean front property for sale in Kentucky. I can send you plenty of pictures but, I am out of the state now and can't show it. Send your money, I'll send the title.

Does that "property" float, and is there risk of it turning over, like Guam?
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

So what if the motors are Winterized, you plan on just letting the boat sit? Fire them puppies up and let them bark. If you done told the "owner" you want the boat, he should be willing to do just about anything to assure the sale goes through.

I am a big believer that since it is your money you can do with it what you want. So, congratulations on your new (to you) houseboat.

Hi all.so we will be buying the boat sat. I am starting up both motors. Re winterizeing them when done.the guy pulled the plugs but not sure why.will be putting in new. He did say he has stable in the gas tanks. I am taking new. It helps with all the comments good and bad . It makes a Bo proud.thanks

+ Reply to Thread