Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie.

Don't be scared MM. I bought a 50' Gibson that had been winterized and sitting for six years without a survey! I trusted the older gentleman who was basically giving it away and took him on his word they would run! He showed me an invoice where he paid $12000 for repair work having the Bulkhead replaced, Tanks cleaned and dried, Thru hulls replaced, etc. While it did have some wood rot in a few spots and the interior was out of date and VERY Musty, I crawled all thru the bilge and found the stringers were in good shape. I rebuilt both carbs, water pumps, and of course changed oil, fuel filters, and plugs. One needed a new distributor and Generator needed a gasket. Bottom line I have less than $5000 in this boat and Everything now works and runs like a champ! Interior has been repainted and new futons and bedding. Jolly Time

we on the other hand bought a 1989 Gibson 42 foot classic from a man the broker assured us was the most honest she had ever dealt with. it was in December and everything was winterized so we took their word on everything. this guy called me atleast 3 times a day making sure I knew everything about the boat. well spring rolled around we tried to fire the engines, you guessed it, they wouldn't start. mechanic said there was so much carbon on the plugs you couldn't see the tips of the plugs. did a complete tuneup. next,tried to start the generator,no way,needed a 250$ fuel pump. filled the water tanks,it all ran into the bilge,all tanks leaked. filled it with gas,lost 80 gal of gas into the engine compartment,yeah,holes in the tank.had that fixed,took it out for a sea trial,packing was rotted and was filling the engine compartment with water. tried to call the guy,guess what, he changed his number, not even the broker could reach him.take someones word on a boat condition? no way !!!!!
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Have you checked on insurance on a boat that old? Marina will probably require it.

+ Reply to Thread