Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raritan Crown Head Fix

Thumbs up Raritan Crown Head Fix

I thought my Raritan Crown Head Pump Motor was locked up. I let some friends use my Houseboat and they put toilet paper and went #2 in the Head!! I never put TP in the head, but rather in the trash can and usually make everyone go to the boaters lounge for their #2 business!! I think the head is original and my old floater is a 1978 model. Every time I hit the switch it would just click. So I looked it up online and thought I'd order a new pump motor. Problem is my model is extinct! I needed a new model and at $1300, I thought I'd try a few fixes first. When I took off the base cover, I discovered the power connections- Red wire and White wire. I hooked up my voltmeter and found it was definitely getting power. I thought maybe the batteries were weak so I pulled out my Mega Start Battery Charger and hooked up the cables to the appropriate wires. I turned on the charger to the lowest AMP setting (2) and hit the button- nothing. Next I turned it up to 10 amps and hit the button- nothing. Next I turned it up to 25 amps hit the button and low and behold it started working!! I think it was just clogged and needed a little extra umph!! Just thought I'd pass on my results- maybe it will save you from a rebuild or replacement when really not needed!! Thanks, Jolly Time

we use 2ply household tp in ours and #1 and #2 never any problems. if you need a new head e-bay is much cheaper than anywhere else.marine parts source,$1109
    Last edited by 42gibson; 09-15-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Electric toilets draw a lot of amps. Even if the batteries are good, a loose or corroded connection can shut one down.

I'd check the motor closely for any evidence of water intrusion from a bad seal. If it's getting water in it, it won't last much longer.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 09-15-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

What Steam Boat Willie said. The old Crown head pull a ton of amps.

Also, your waste system will be much happier if you use it the way it was designed to be used.

We used our Raritan Atlantes heads in our houseboat like normal toilets with no issues at all. Like any normal toilet, if you put a ton of TP in the toilet, it'll clog it up - the choker valve. None-the-less, I sure don't miss those stupid toilets!
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

You missed the point! I was trying to offer a quick fix or last ditch effort to repair before you break it apart. This is a new to me boat that was sitting idle for 6 years! It does draw a lot of amps, but using the battery charger helped dislodge the clog? And by the way the other reason for not wanting TP or #2 in my Head is that the system is completely 100% Original- 1970's.....as in NO Holding Tank!! Jolly Time

P.S. Found That Out the Hard Way! Black Tank is on Order!

Urine is also considered human waste - so, technically, you are in violation by peeing and flushing.

The battery charger is a little higher voltage than a battery, and if you connected it directly you bypassed any potential problems in the wiring. The very fact that you needed the charger tells me something is wrong besides a 'clog'. I'd STILL pull the pump motor and check it. It may be dying, and it's better to find out NOW than when you're in the middle of the lake with a bunch of guests.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 09-19-2016 at 10:31 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

+ Reply to Thread