Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using Pontoon Houseboat in the winter

Threaded View

Using Pontoon Houseboat in the winter

I know a lot of folks use their houseboats during the winter months. I have a Playcraft pontoon houseboat that I would like to use over the winter, but I'm concerned about the water lines freezing. The water lines are routed under the floor in the space between the decking and the top of the pontoons. My first thought was to put some heating cable on them and insulate them, but I don't think I can get access to some of the spaces in that small area between the deck and the pontoon.

The boat is in Arkansas and we will normally see a few days with temperatures in the teens. Some years it has been in the teens and twenties for a week or two at a time.

Has anyone else tackled this problem? Is a solid hull boat a requirement for winter use?

I don't actually see anyway to do it unless you blow them out with air when you leave.once the connection is made it wouldn't take long but i'm not sure how you'd do the heads. I had a 52ft playcraft and loved it,it was like a tank.....good luck
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

My old pontoon had all the house water lines routed through the cabin walls. Only the black water waste lines and holding tank were below deck exposed to the elements. To prevent the turds from freezing, I typically dumped a gallon of winterizer fluid down the toilets to the holding tank each time we'd leave.

Only other water line that was outside the headed space was my upper deck wash down hose, located at the upper helm. I winterized it each Fall. I don't think you have any way around it, sorry.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Thanks for the response guys. This sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to a newer/bigger boat.

Honestly, you should check out the Sailabration pontoon houseboats. We were very happy with ours and looked at building a new one. If you look at boattrader.com, there was a 50' for sale as well as an 80' somewhere in Arkansas. You can't go wrong with the Honda outboard motors they use. Not sure if your pontoon is twin engine or not, but mine handled so well, I wouldn't put thrusters on it, if I built a new one.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread