Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Random BS Thread

Random BS Thread

Well we've spent the last four weekends on the boat this year far short of what we'd would have normally logged due the sorry spring weather we've experienced here.

Anyway we've been boating in the same area with the same boat now going on five years. Yet there are still folks who desire to tour or see the interior of our little houseboat. I actually thought the newness would have gone away some time ago myself but there always seems to be somebody new standing on the sandbar asking about our boat.

Of course we always invite them in and give them the general tour, after all it's a great way to meet new people and share our common love of the water and boating. And in the past it was us after all when we were thinking about breaking into houseboating ourselves. I'll never forget the pride of some of those folks pointing out some of the work or features they've done to their boats that made there boat uniquely theirs. And I attempt to carry on the same generous traditions as others have showed me. Anyway it's always fun to talk to others who'd also like to have their very own island on a waterway somewhere.

Now on to being waked by cabin cruisers... I hate cabin cruisers I'd sink every last one if I thought I could possibly get away with it. I'm to the point where me and the wife are discussing the possibility of purchasing a Harbor Master we know of for sale just to hunt them down. I'm told that with the twin 454"s it's capable of keeping up with most if not all of them and throws a much larger wake . I'd just love to watch them dodge in fear for once but oh well it would cost me $12.500 and a lot of fuel to enjoy such entertainment but it just might be worth the ticket price to enjoy the show...

Quote Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
    ............Now on to being waked by cabin cruisers... I hate cabin cruisers I'd sink every last one if I thought I could possibly get away with it. I'm to the point where me and the wife are discussing the possibility...to hunt them down... with the twin 454"s it's throws a much larger wake . I'd just love to watch them dodge in fear for once but oh well it would cost me $12.500 and a lot of fuel to enjoy such entertainment but it just might be worth the ticket price to enjoy the show...
    I know the feeling. In my sailboat it's no big thing while sailing with full sail, but when in the channel and the sails are down, their wake throws everything around. I guess my pointy ended houseboat might qualify as a cabin cruiser with twin 350's and a top speed of about 22 kts, however, it will rarely ever go over 6 - 6.5 kts due to an affordable fuel consumption rate.

On the brighter side, I got a 10% non-refundable deposit on my sailboat with a 90 day closing. After being on the market for a year and price constantly being reduced, it is now a done deal barring any major disasters. But life being what it is, it's not over till the fat lady sings. Hopefully, it will close sooner. The buyer lives in Panama and is moving back to the Houston area to be with his family again. He wanted my boat about 5 years ago when it wasn't for sale. Now he got it.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat
    1976 Allied 39 Ketch - In process of being sold.
    www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Now on to being waked by cabin cruisers... I hate cabin cruisers I'd sink every last one if I thought I could possibly get away with it. I'm to the point where me and the wife are discussing the possibility of purchasing a Harbor Master we know of for sale just to hunt them down. I'm told that with the twin 454"s it's capable of keeping up with most if not all of them and throws a much larger wake . I'd just love to watch them dodge in fear for once but oh well it would cost me $12.500 and a lot of fuel to enjoy such entertainment but it just might be worth the ticket price to enjoy the show...[/QUOTE]

we have the cabin cruiser and huge performance boats on the ohio as well but unless their in a no wake area they have as much rights to those waters as anyone else.i have a 44 Gibson executive that puts out a pretty good wave at cruising speed, its just the way it is.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Yeah the wakes ARE annoying but when it happens, I think about how much it's costing THEM ($$$) to make it. Doesn't solve anything but it makes me feel a little better.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Now from what I've experienced there are "Huge" differences in mentality between potential wakemakers. Cabin cruiser owners in general have no consideration or respect what-so-ever of others on the water sharing the resource they simply are "Jerks". They can and do observe us sitting out on the deck of our boat and instead of swinging wide of us to allow the dissipation of their wake if often seems they purposely make adjustments to hit us harder with their wake. Then they're also the ones who are following one another an observe a forward target I've watched them then make throttle adjustments and parallel their boats intentionally putting their target in the middle of the monstrosity of the wakes they're generating as they're passing by. Unfortunately,Yes what they're doing is "Legal" and entertaining for them but it sure isn't fun for boaters like us on the receiving end of their entertainment or fun.

And "Yes" houseboats can also create havoc out on the water. But the reality of it is I've never as of yet seen or experienced a houseboater maximizing the upheaval they could create as they pass by. They've always shown the up-most consideration of others as they have made they're way towards they're destination.

The world is full of them.

It's not always possible, but I try to make it a point of anchoring in the shallows, so if they get too close they run aground. THEN the show starts.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Memorial Day weekend 2012 the Army Corps had a big steel deep hull twin diesel center console on our lake that was piloted by 3 teenage-looking guys. They were enjoying the lake on the tax payers dollar way too much. At one point, I was headed out to the main channel and was 1/2 mile out of our no wake zone from the marina. Everybody gasses it when they get out of the no wake zone, as did this Army boat. I had my charcoal BBQ going on the upper deck with 14 people sitting on top enjoying the 10mph ride. The Corps boat flies past us on the port side probably 200 yards at full bore. I've never seen a wake like it! I didn't have time to turn into it, so it nailed us broad-side. It rocked us so hard that my giant BBQ grill moved from the starboard rail 8 ft to the center of the boat and back.....TWICE! People sitting on the bar chairs were moved from the center of the boat to the port rail and nearly toppled over the side of the boat! To this day, I have no idea how the galley cabinets stayed closed and nothing broke. The BBQ is now strapped to the starboard rail. To rub salt in the wounds, the little bastards on the Army Corps boat all waved at me as they passed.
    Last edited by GoVols; 08-06-2013 at 06:17 AM.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I might be wrong but I was always under the impression that you are responsible for your own wake.
    Doesn't really matter though because the CG wont enforce it.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat
    1976 Allied 39 Ketch - In process of being sold.
    www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Bamby, where do you usually tie up? Are you on the Ohio?

I dock on the main channel on the ohio. The cruisers from the dock a couple miles south of us are the biggest bunch of hypocrites. They will cuss you up and down for going above idle past their dock. They slow down when passing our dock, but not into idle. They will slow it down enough to just squat the back end down and really push out the rollers. I'd love to be the guy that just blows by in 65 foot houseboat and wash them all up on the shore. However, I am a firm believer in Karma. So I will just have to sit back and wait for them to get theirs.

+ Reply to Thread