Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard or know of the red Honda

Anyone heard or know of the red Honda

Being installed in the hull and used inside the hull instead of setting up outside with a cord.

Curious in the manor in which it draws fresh air in and what design is used to vent the exhaust .

( don't want to duct tape a squirrel cage device for cool in and bad out)

Honda what? Generator or outboard? If it's a portable generator then it should definitely not be inside. Read the manual. If it's an outboard you can enclose it but you need lots of ventilation.

In theory you could do it, but it's neither safe nor legal. DON'T EVEN TRY!
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

People have done it. As far as I know, no one has died of it. Yet. Honda generators, while excellent at what they do, are not built to be run in an enclosed space. They are not ignition protected and the exhaust is not water jacketed.

Here is a link to someone that did it in a house.

http://www.inquisition.ca/en/esd/art...trice.htm#s2p4

But a boat has a danger that is worse than a house: a boat has more of an enclosed space for heavier-than-air gas fumes to gather. That doesn't bode well for a generator that has a vented gas cap that, by design, has to breathe. I would have nothing to do with enclosing an operating generator and I would have concerns about bringing a generator inside for storage if there was any gas in the tank.

All makes sense

Hoping by now Honda and or the brain s
    Had made it doable.

It's so efficient for it's designed use

For the small number they would sell, it's probably not worth the expense to design and build one.

It's so efficient for it's designed use
    Exactly. It's designed use is outdoors ashore. There is a reason why gasoline powered onboard generators are required to meet USCG regulations for fuel, electrical and ventilation. These portable generators do not meet those standards. They are perfectly safe when used as the manufacturer intended, but in an enclosed space on a boat they are not. In addition to being a carbon monoxide hazard, they can present a significant shock hazard on a boat. Yes, you see people using them, but they are usually mounted on the swim platform or outside on deck. Even then they can present a shock hazard if not correctly connected to the boat's electrical system.

Even mounted on the swim platform they present a carbon monoxide hazard, as the exhaust gases tend to collect behind the boat ("station wagon effect") and swimmers can be poisoned. Then there's the possibility that a passing boat's wake may swamp the generator.

I used to put mine on the roof and it worked pretty well, but since I went to solar I haven't used it at all.

Sure, you CAN, but it could kill you. If you want a marine generator, buy one.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 10-09-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stmbtwle View Post
    For the small number they would sell, it's probably not worth the expense to design and build one.
    A gallon or two a day versus a gallon an hour through a big ole westerbeke
    1000 of hours of uninterrupted servic, no $1.98 rubber water pump impeller to shut u down,
    On an on. An no one can get it cooled an vented

Spare me the Carbon monoxide issues, believe me our tech ability leap past any issues mentioned above. Years ago. So spare me the lecture on how those killer fumes accumulate. The tech ability to adapt is out there an very affordable.

Much like u, Not needing the big gen y only start my 12.5 kW monthly to keep it lubricated an fresh gas in the bowl.
    Wouldn't be surprised if I don't have more hours hooking my red Honda up an actually house boating off the dock than 1/2 those wasting space about what has to work where.

+ Reply to Thread