Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard or know of the red Honda

Honda builds a lot of stuff, cars, outboards, generators, motorcycles, and what all. I'm sure they COULD solve the "marine" issues IF they thought it was profitable to do so. They apparently don't, so I stand by my argument.

It's all about the money.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 10-16-2016 at 08:10 PM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

"Spare me the Carbon monoxide issues, believe me our tech ability leap past any issues mentioned above. Years ago. So spare me the lecture on how those killer fumes accumulate. The tech ability to adapt is out there an very affordable."

You have posted about your love of your Honda generator before and made your mind up a long time ago. Who is the "our" that you reference whose tech ability has solved the problem of running an air cooled, non-spark protected generator in a marine engine compartment? Do you run yours in your engine compartment? If so, have you told your insurance agent?

Which insurance agent, Boat or Life?

Too much imagination

No the Honda goes far enough up on the bank that it's noise level isn't a issue for front deck chatting.
    As usual Admittedly I'll try an reinvent the wheel. Historically past post will verify that.
    For some reason I have a hard time understanding why this notion is so off base.

A compartment that provides fresh air in that any combustible engine needs to run.
    A means to vent these killer gases up up and away.

Sometimes when I see these enormous banks of batts stuffed under the front deck, I'm sure you too would quickly recognize they aren't AGMs And life goes on

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Hmmm

Don't Aqua Cruiser houseboats us Air cooled gennys in their houseboats?

RVs have used air cooled genneys for years.

The secret is in the installation.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

RVs don't have a hull and gas or vapors will just spill onto the ground. The few pontoons I've seen or heard of (to be honest not many) the genny is in a ventilated locker on the stern, so the results would be the same.

Hydrogen from a battery is lighter than air and (unlike gasoline) will not collect in the bilge.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 10-17-2016 at 08:25 PM.

[QUOTE=Stmbtwle;6661]RVs don't have a hull and gas or vapors will just spill onto the ground. The few pontoons I've seen or heard of (to be honest not many) the genny is in a ventilated locker on the stern, so the results would be the same.

Hydrogen from a battery is lighter than air and (unlike gasoline) will not collect in the bilge

Would u say over your years experiences you have seen more boats that have gone up in smoke over batt related issues,
    Than deaths/ hospitalization, due to carbon monoxide issues?

Later we know usually is reported with more coverage because death is involved.
    Little Apple a oranges for sure

The secret is in the installation.

Absolutely. And, not installed in an enclosed engine compartment.

Put it on the top deck, put it on the swim platform (just don't swim back there while it is running), put it on the shore - all OK.

Running a portable gas generator in your engine compartment and somehow venting the exhaust outside - not OK.

Couple died in FL during Matthew from running a generator in their garage - http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Hu...396368231.html

I'm aware of several incidents over the years from CO poisoning on a boat, though some from "properly installed" water-cooled generators. If the exhaust goes out through the transom you're at risk. On top of that the things plain STINK. And I personally know of a couple boats that EXPLODED due to gas vapors. One of the reasons mine is diesel.

There was at least one death just a week or so ago from running a portable generator in the garage during Hurricane Matthew.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...ll-daytona-boy

https://www.tasanet.com/Knowledge-Ce...useboat-Deaths

https://www.boats.com/how-to/portabl...afe-for-boats/

http://www.yuchaiie.com/product/17081.html

No question, people do it all the time and MOST get away with it. Some don't, how lucky do you feel? You can also install fume detectors and CO detectors.

If it's installed below deck how are you going to refuel it?

A houseboat is an expensive toy. What does your insurance company say about it?

If you install it on a weather deck and run the exhaust such that fumes won't get pulled into the boat, you should be fine. In the engine room? NOT a good idea.

When u ask how are u going to refuel it,
    Fairly clear you haven't a clue, regarding these units and what's taking place with em.
    Everything pointed out regarding venting safety installation are important issues all
    The issues back when we had rotary phones, wink
    My dock neighbor stands out back on his cruiser while it auto parks itself, Wonder if his insurance man knows what's going on.

+ Reply to Thread