Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pitthane (Paint for roof)

Question Pitthane (Paint for roof)

We are reconditioning our 1997 Sumerset and want to recoat the roof / upper deck. Over time it has been recoated with gelcoat as well as a paint product produced by PPG called Pitthane. We really liked the Pitthane as it cleaned very easily. We did have some areas that flaked off but that had to be due to the painter not getting the substrate prepared properly. The big issue is it was VERY SLICK when wet. I contacted PPG and it was suggested I use the "Ultra" Pitthane on the gutter boards (what is on there now) and the "High Build Semi-gloss" on the areas that will be underfoot. We could also add anti-skid to the paint but I was advised this can be a challenge to get any even look to the finished deck. I have two questions (1) Should we continue to use the Pitthane or go back to the gelcoat and (2) Has anyone had experience with the Semi-gloss.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Interlux used to make a polymer additive to add to your favorite paint. I used it with good deck enamel and had great results. I applied it with a roller and it looked great, washed off easily and was feet friendly. Used it on 3 RiverQueens and 2 KingsCrafts. The appearance was even on the entire deck area.

OHB
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

they used this stuff on our Gibson when they redid the decks and roof,OHB is right its very good stuff,very foot friendly,non slip and looks great.its a good choice.all they did was add it to the paint,used a drill to mix it and rolled it on.

QUOTE=OLD HOUSEBOATER;6633]Interlux used to make a polymer additive to add to your favorite paint. I used it with good deck enamel and had great results. I applied it with a roller and it looked great, washed off easily and was feet friendly. Used it on 3 RiverQueens and 2 KingsCrafts. The appearance was even on the entire deck
    Last edited by 42gibson; 10-13-2016 at 05:19 AM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

If you go back to gelcoat, you will need to strip off all of the paint that you previously applied.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    I assume Pitthane is a Poly Urethane enamel. This formulation is very durable and I believe you would be very happy with the combination of that paint and the Interlux additive.

Note: We used our boat a lot and recoating after 3 years was not a problem. I was kind of anal about surface preparation and never had a lifting problem.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Thanks for the input. Just wanted everyone know I'm checking the responses and listening. I also have asked PPG to get me some names of users. They said they have several in the lake Cumberland area. I'll report what I hear from them.

+ Reply to Thread