houseboat magazine
Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How often to you pull your boat out for maintenance?

How often to you pull your boat out for maintenance?

How often do you pull your boat of out the water for maintenance - changing sacrificial anodes, gear oil, impellers, etc.?

we pull every fall because of freezing weather, then we check and clean everything then.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Boats require maintenance?

Every 5 yrs or so.

I used to pull mine every 3 or 4 years for that kind of maintenance. But since my lake was hit with quagga mussels, I am now faced with pulling the boat every fall to keep the quaggas from multiplying inside the cooling passages of my motors. If your lake doesn't have mussels, I would do everything in my power to keep it that way.

When my family had the "big" boat, we pulled it on a 3 year average to scrape the bottom, change impellers, change out the Zinc's, regular maintenance. Our boat was used on almost a daily basis though in Fresh/Brackish/Salt water (Florida). Oil/Filter changes were done on a 3 month basis, checked every day. We kept that boat for 16 years and the day it was sold, those twin Chrysler 318's would still start first time, every time and purred like kittens. The boat was a 48' custom designed/built crossover between a Trawler and Houseboat. I think it was built in Tampa, Fl and was a Fiberglass hull, cruised at about 12 knots, topped out about 20. My Grandmother was wheelchair bound and loved to fish so my Grandfather commissioned this boat with her needs in mind. She could wheel anywhere she needed to from bow to stern safely. Sorry, got the memories flowing again.

Anyway, 3 to 5 years depending on use and what the bottom is painted with.

I am assuming you mean in Fresh Water, verses Salt Water.
    In salt water I would send a diver down every three months to clean the bottom, and check the anodes and replace as necessary.

I used to pull mine every two years for the bottom job (salt water), but it did so well last time that I'm going for three. I change my zincs in the water.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Some people on our lake look at your weird when you ask them how often they pull their boat. They dont know what that means. Ive also been told they change the engine oil every 5 years since they change the oil every 5,000 miles in their car...

4-5 years has been the norm for our lake it seems. Its fresh water, so the only thing thats done is change the out drive bellows, anodes, and oil in the drives. Thankfully we have volvos so we replace the raw water impellers every 2 years.

The bearings are in the intermediate housings on our volvo so you can grease them from inside the boat. Mercruiser units typically have the raw water impeller in the outdrive for some reason. The bearings also arent greaseable with the boat in the water.

+ Reply to Thread