Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Westerbeke EFI generator issues

Here is a dumb suggestion but it bit me in the butt with the 8.0 EFI I installed. Next to the on switch on the physical generator, there is a little switch. See if resetting that works. It is a fault switch that you need to reset if the generator shuts down.

Thanks I will go up and see if we have another switch to reset. I have a repair guy going up next week if I can't get it running before then.

Quote Originally Posted by ltrdayz View Post
    Thanks I will go up and see if we have another switch to reset. I have a repair guy going up next week if I can't get it running before then.

There was also a fuse there as well. See if it isn't blown.

Update. The breaker is good as is the fuse. The repair guy told me during our phone conversation that it sounds like its the computer. I would test it if I could get my hands on the "communications cable" $200. I already downloaded the program to test it. It will be approx $500 of just labor to look at it and trouble shoot. I wonder if I should just try to buy a new computer for it and put it in.I am having a hard time finding the part number for it it though.

Since it is Westerbeke red I can guarantee the ECU will be expensive.

Here is the troubleshooting guide. https://www.westerbeke.com/troublesh...may%202006.pdf

Yes it is very expensive! 1760 dollars.

Ouch! At that price you might be better off having the technician troubleshoot and install it. Assuming it IS the ECU, you still don't know WHY it failed. If you don't correct that, it could get even more expensive. If it's NOT the ECU, you now have an expensive "spare".
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 11-19-2016 at 07:05 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

So very true. That is a huge concern. Also the tech is not able to test the computer unless it actually runs. He said it takes 2 weeks to get in another ecu. I do not want an expensive spare part for sure.

I might be way off base but it doesn't make much sense to test it AFTER he fixes it. Then he's testing NEW parts (which you may not need and are trying avoid buying). Sounds like one of those "keep changing parts (at owner's expense) till you get lucky" mechanics. Been there.

On the other hand, that's probably the only way he'll guarantee his work.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 11-20-2016 at 06:58 AM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I think we might pull the ecu and see if they can test it in their shop. Or maybe send it to Westerbeke. I have to talk to the shop to see if they have a way to test it without a generator.

+ Reply to Thread