Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Every couple of years, we reach a milestone!

Threaded View

Every couple of years, we reach a milestone!

They are minor milestones, (subtle, you have to know what you're looking for) but nonetheless, I have to brag:
    The designer/builder/ number-one skipper of the Houseboat Lotus Eater has, after at least a dozen years, completed the installation of the propane system. I now have running water, hot on-demand, yet, and a working galley range/oven. Hurray! Camping by handmade boat just got a lot more civilized. Unexpected paying jobs, full-time, caused significant construction delays of several years, but retirement happened- again--, and he must have run out of books he planned to read, because by and by, he began boat-puttering again, much to my delight. Oh, yes, we have many other things that need to be done, repainting the railings, finishing the window trim and ceiling panels, and figuring out what to do about a stubborn leak topside, but now, with a working shower and hot coffee while swinging on the hook in some back-of-beyond creek, I can deal with the delays.
    It's a good thing... the phone just rang. "Well, I suppose I COULD help you out for a while," I hear. Fortunately, I wasn't really counting on significant carpentry, not when there is disease still to be stamped out in the world.

Whoo Hoo! Finally the Admiral is heard!
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Congrats!!

I guess you guys made out okay with Matthew banging things around in your backyard

Yep. No problem. We, as is often the case, buttoned everything up good and snug, and hastened to accept an invitation to dinner, 1000 miles west. Kind of fun watching the radar returns on our iPad, as we skedaddled toward St. Louis. Big, fat raindrops were beginning to fall as we taxied to the departure end of the local runway. Technicolor bands of heavy rain were clearly visible, creeping toward us. Nearly five hours of smooth, on-top flight later, we were enjoying perfect sunshine and returning hugs from favorite grandsons. When we got home a few days later, we found things moist, our river-dwelling neighbors severely flooded, but we were lucky, no significant damage. Most thankful. Good of you to ask!

Good to hear.

My glee knows no bounds. Not only do we now have a fully-functional galley, and a head with hot shower, but the last of the paneling tongue-and-groove 1x4 boards are stained and ready to nail, maybe an afternoon's work at our snail's pace, and there's a good start on window trim, which I'm uncommonly pleased with. Woohoo....
    With all this trim, plus a lot more quarter-inch plywood for the ceiling still to install, and such, I am wondering if we need to rig a couple of pontoon sections for the middle of the boat, trimaran style. With the battery bank and various other heavy accoutrements, the freeboard for the outboards seems to be getting a little skinny. It's always something!
    "So," people ask brightly, "Your boat finished yet?"
    We just laugh. Beats crying.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply build up the motor mounts?

Yep. I suggested that. It is under consideration. Far under. Like at the bottom of the stack of Things To Be Considered. For now, though, things are rocking along. Another coat of paint on the top deck is next.

@stmbtwle: at very long last, you may be pleased to know, the horn you sent is installed, painted all shiny silver, and speaks with a most satisfying authority. Whee!! Or more accurately, "Whaaaaaannk!" Thank you again and again!
    There's a real fine new marine radio hooked up and working, too. Very professional looking. Now sometime I'm going to read the 700-page instruction manual. And one of those battery-powered flashing strobe flare-substitute thingies. (We still have flares, but don't have to care anymore exactly when they expire!) The next time the Coast Guard Auxiliarist with the checklist and stickers shows up, he will be duly impressed at our safety upgrades.
    About 2/3 of the ceiling paneling is installed, and we have little sort-of portable electric heat pump for when we're hooked up to shore power. Civilization creeps forward in minute increments.
    NOW can we go on that long promised voyage to the end of the earth? Or at least a long weekend? Someday. After the boat-builder's latest un-retirement rent-a-doc gig is done, and storm-season is over, maybe. Looking forward to that.
    Last edited by Amelia; 09-12-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Glad to have been of service. We thought we were going to lose the RETREAT (along with the house and everything else) a couple days ago in IRMA. However the worst of the storm missed us and we actually had a NEGATIVE "storm surge". With the exception of a couple of trees, we came through with no damage.

My heart goes out to those further south who weren't as fortunate.

+ Reply to Thread