Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some assistance needed with selling

Some assistance needed with selling

We custom built a HB/Cruiser in 2007 and sailed all the way down through the ICW to the keys where I am currently docked in a beautiful marina. I put the boat on the trailer and head to my house in the NE every summer. I come down and live on it for a few months during winter. Unfortunately, due to a medical issue with a grandson, it will be several years/if ever I can return to this paradise.

That said, I must part with this heavy duty HB/cruiser and I have no idea where to market it? We put over 158K into her and I just want 79K to get her to a new appreciative owner. Every boat dealer in Florida is trying to get me to sign, but I would rather sell her to a true person and not a broker who will just jack up the price. I put some picts on craigs list including my number 570-639-2898 but only received calls from brokers, pay-pal scammers, and nut jobs?

Can you point me in a direction which may assist. I don't want to sell, but life has a way of making choices for you. This forum has always been great and it is such an asset, I thought this would be a good place to turn and humbly ask.

Thank OHB - jsj248@yahoo.com

I know how you feel, but a broker will get you the exposure and the prospects, cull out the lookers, and save YOU a lot of hassle. That's what he's paid to do.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I used Anglers Edge Marine, which is a broker, but has a one time fee of $299, with no commission payments.
    The $299 gets you in over 40 sites until your boat sells.
    You will have to show the boat and sell it, they have sales agreements for every state.

This is cheaper than if you advertise in Yacht Trader your self.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/angler-s...isted-now.html

Quote Originally Posted by jsj248 View Post
    I have no idea where to market it?

Therefore, this question is now answered.

Seems like there would be no harm in listing it on the classified section of houseboatmagazine.com (a few clicks down from where you posted here). The two keys would be a good description and a few pictures. Of the two, the pictures would be more useful if I were looking to buy. There is a bit of a knack to posting pictures; you need to "host" them at a site like photobucket.com. If you need help, ask for here. Folks here are pretty darn helpful.

You could also list it on a few local cities' Craigslist sites. More exposure but a more sketchy crowd. You might get a chance to sell to Nigerian prince or two.

If steps like these seem daunting, you just as well save yourself some trouble and sign up with a broker now.

Put the relevant pix on a site like Photobucket, and arrange them in a "slideshow". Then post the link to the slideshow. The link will work here, craigslist, anywhere you want. You can even put it in a newspaper ad. You can put a lot more pictures in the slideshow than you can put on a website, and you only have to do it once.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

Like me you also own a unique boat that isn't going to be listed in any blue book of value. Though 79k very well be a great buy on your boat bu unfortunately there are not a lot of people with that kind of cash laying around. As such it may actually pay to have an overall appraisal done of both condition and value worked up on it. It could likely prove out a condition on the sale anyway should they need to finance it.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Thank you

I knew I could get gret advice here. I will lit it in the clasified section with a link to pictures for about 30 day and then go the broker route. Ohe thouand thnk-yous for pointing me in the right direction.

Your ads look good. As a Bob Seger fan, I love the name of your boat. Since you have all these great photos, you might want to consider placing it on ebay. You could put your $79K price as a "buy it now" or as a reserve. Naturally, you would list it for local pick up only. Local buyers are your best bet, but since it's trailerable, you might find someone that wants to come pick it up.

I got traffic through www.boattrader.com when I sold my houseboat.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread